Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! i was just wondering who has girl rats and who has boys and why you chose the gender you did?
we got girls because we thought boys mark their scent more, are more agressive and can't live together (i am now corrected that rat boys are little balls of love that can live and snuggle together)
what ive come to understand is girl rats are lovable but active prefering play to pats and boys are also lovable but lazy critters loving to get scritched
so what gender did others chose and why?
:)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
the main reason I got a female is because my boyfriend did not like rats at all and I'd read females stayed smaller and smelled less. They also don't have giant... manly parts which would have totally turned off my boyfriend even more haha
I love my girl so much, she was active but sooo licky and got sweeter with age. I think no matter the gender, rats have a way to tug at our hearts and make them melt :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
i got boy rats, now 5 of them but at first i thought girl rats would be better but after i read about them before i went and got one i decided boys because i read that they are more social than females

and i recently found out that most of the pet stores here dont sell female rats to prevent people that arent breeders from trying to breed them with out being experienced in doing it

·
Registered
90 Posts
i had a friend come over and was playing with one of my rats and was petting its balls and was like what is this why does it stick out his back like that, then i told her it was his balls and she freaked

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Boy rats have always been my personal favorites, and their boy cajones are just part of their package, so they never bothered me a bit. Girls are great too though. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I had two boys in high school, and two boys now. In general, I've always preferred male animals (dogs, cats, etc.) and rats are no exception! I love their docile nature. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got 3 girls, because we had 2 previously and they where the last ones. I would have chossen boys because they are more cuddly, girls like to explore everything and cant stay still. Im not sure if boys smell more because my girl rats really smell I clean them every week or sometimes twice a week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i had a friend come over and was playing with one of my rats and was petting its balls and was like what is this why does it stick out his back like that, then i told her it was his balls and she freaked
Hahaha sorry I think that is really funny, that was another reason I was a bit put off but i still would get boy rats.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hi Kami,
I saw your post about how much your girls seem to smell and that you have to bath them weekly. That is so strange because for one thing, male rats are supposed to have a stronger smell than girls, but here is what is strange..I had two boy rats and they never seem to get smelly, ever. They bathed and groomed themselves daily and that was it. No baths, or anything. I think once I used a baby wipe (non-scented) on them but that was it. I wonder if it is the litter or bedding you are using? If it is not absorbent enough, or especially if you do not clean out their house on a regular basis, then it can get smelly. Also, the build up of ammonia from urine is not only smelly but it is also very irritating to the ratties' delicate noses and not good for them.

Anyway, do you think it could be your bedding that your girls are on that is making them smell or are you not changing it enough?
I just asked because I have never heard of rats that had to be bathed every week or smelled really bad that quick.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Kami,
I saw your post about how much your girls seem to smell and that you have to bath them weekly. That is so strange because for one thing, male rats are supposed to have a stronger smell than girls, but here is what is strange..I had two boy rats and they never seem to get smelly, ever. They bathed and groomed themselves daily and that was it. No baths, or anything. I think once I used a baby wipe (non-scented) on them but that was it. I wonder if it is the litter or bedding you are using? If it is not absorbent enough, or especially if you do not clean out their house on a regular basis, then it can get smelly. Also, the build up of ammonia from urine is not only smelly but it is also very irritating to the ratties' delicate noses and not good for them.

Anyway, do you think it could be your bedding that your girls are on that is making them smell or are you not changing it enough?
I just asked because I have never heard of rats that had to be bathed every week or smelled really bad that quick.
I change them twice a week they do seem to be litter trained but they sometimes dont used it i changed my bedding from this wood pellet stuff too back2nature which is newspaper pellets stuff its quite expensive £5.99 for 10 litters or so not much at all. I also changed there diet but that hasn't really worked either my previous girls didnt smell one little bit never had to bath them they where really clean but the ones I have now just seem to smell so bad I even bought this odor stuff for them at the pet shop that doesn't even cover the smell up. Even when I have bathed them the next day they will smell of their urine and poo again

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Wow, that is so strange! And your last girl did not smell at all. Maybe it is just your new girls' chemistry I guess? :confused:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I have both male and female rats currently. I love them all,but my preference is males. They are sweeter, more inclined to sit with me when I am on the computer or watching TV, are more loving and tolerant of belly kisses and are such sweeties.

My girls are sweet in their own way,but they rather run and play and explore then stay with me and don't like belly kisses or any kiss much,they will squirm when I fuss over them.

So BOYS.
Their goolies do not bother me one bit. I also think it gives them character.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! I laughed so hard at this. BAHAHAHA! Holy,I needed that laugh.

How could anyone not know what they were!? :rofl:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Agreed, Vanilla, I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

I loves boy ratty goolies too. Definitely adds to their character!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, that is so strange! And your last girl did not smell at all. Maybe it is just your new girls' chemistry I guess? :confused:
Maybe I hope they get cleaner as they get older they been cleaning themselve more often now too

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 4 females. They are quite active, and sometimes I feel I'd want them to be laid-back and all, but they've got such a character! Especially Salem, the ''alpha-rat'' of the group. She's just like a little dog. She's always following me around when doing some chore in my room, she climbs on me and eats with me, and she's the only animal in our house-among cats and a dog- that is not afraid of the vacuum cleaner. In fact, she likes following it around as well. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts