Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've never even shopped at petsmart and I definetely won't start. I like my local petland, they have an on site vet clinic, and the employees have an obvious bond with the animals. They even encourage people who come in to the store to take the dogs for walks, as long as you leave I.D with them. They also take abandoned animals and try to find them homes.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah petsmart has "all that" too. i just dont' believe everyting i see and hear. i'm so skeptical, my trust was bashed in a long long time ago. i trust all of you, it's the people i don't know that scare me

·
Title Thief Victim
3,089 Posts
:( I'm glad I don't have a petsmart now. I don't understand why people would work at a petstore if they don't care about them. I know its for the money..but why choose a petstore?

I don't know how anyone could see those deseaced animals and not even care.

:(

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunatley in this world, money talks, and people forget about what they stand for, believe in, or anything. even my mom threw away my parents marriage because all she argues about is money. money money, it makes me hate it. we have to have it to live, but that's it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
what sucks is in alaska, the pet stores are the only places to get food, animals, toys and everything you need. unless you want to pay your whole paycheck on shipping it all up here. and during most of the year, being it is so cold, they dont ship animals up. =(
unfortunately i have two choices. petzoo and petco. and ive been choosing petco lately because petzoo has been getting worse and worse. =(
its sad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unfortunately unless you can get your pets directly from a reputable breeder, the pet stores are basically all there is. Even some breeders don't take care of the animals the way they should. Conditions within some of the humane societies are questionable. Often times you will hear of humane societies having to put hundreds of animals down because of the spread of parvo or distemper or something. Too many animals, not enough staff to care for them, and not enough funds for veterinary care. There are many humane societies out there that could use volunteers to help take care of the animals, cleaning, feeding, working in their thrift stores, but so many people either don't want to volunteer for anything, or honestly can't because of time restrictions. Humans have little regard for themselves, how can we expect them to have any higher regard for other creatures God has put on this planet with us? It is all very, very sad. :sigh:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
sad movie :(

·
Registered
479 Posts
that is the worst thing that i have ever seen....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I can't watch movies (kill my computer) but I LIKE my local petsmart. The workers are pretty knowledgeable, handle the small animals correctly and they always have clean cages, and since the only other option is the ABSURDLY high priced petstore, I'm going to keep shopping there. Literally, the other petstore will have the same stuffies as Petsmart for three times the price. A tennis ball is $10!

Anyhoo, I don't know what the movie says, but I like my local one. Of course, its not a high traffic branch...but its great.

·
Proud New Mommy
2,432 Posts
Mel said:
I can't watch movies (kill my computer) but I LIKE my local petsmart. The workers are pretty knowledgeable, handle the small animals correctly and they always have clean cages, and since the only other option is the ABSURDLY high priced petstore, I'm going to keep shopping there. Literally, the other petstore will have the same stuffies as Petsmart for three times the price. A tennis ball is $10!

Anyhoo, I don't know what the movie says, but I like my local one. Of course, its not a high traffic branch...but its great.
I am also fond of my local PetSmart. I work there currently and shop there very frequently. Working there and shopping there are two completely different venues and when you know how things are on both sides and are pleased, I'd say something is right.

I am very picky with how animals are being treated and I've actually 'helped' shut down a local petstore here once. I don't think any petstore should be in business if the animal's care there is nothing short of spectacular and I can honestly say our store's animals are extremely healthy and happy. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sad....I don't shop at petsmart myself. I usually go to petland..

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Mulder - Thanks for sharing. I think I posted that in the other thread about why you should adopt, no buy.

Unfortunatly most just don't get the big picture. PetSmart and Petco are cooperations. By supporting one, you are supporting them all. So even if you think your Petsmart is good, you are still providing money to keep stores like the one on that video open.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
C_Wilson said:
Unfortunately unless you can get your pets directly from a reputable breeder, the pet stores are basically all there is. Even some breeders don't take care of the animals the way they should. Conditions within some of the humane societies are questionable. Often times you will hear of humane societies having to put hundreds of animals down because of the spread of parvo or distemper or something. Too many animals, not enough staff to care for them, and not enough funds for veterinary care. There are many humane societies out there that could use volunteers to help take care of the animals, cleaning, feeding, working in their thrift stores, but so many people either don't want to volunteer for anything, or honestly can't because of time restrictions. Humans have little regard for themselves, how can we expect them to have any higher regard for other creatures God has put on this planet with us? It is all very, very sad. :sigh:
There's always shelters and rescues. Not all shelters are good, much like not all breeders are good. With a bit of effort you can locate a responsible breeder and/or a good shelter. (Asking questions is key to locating the good ones. A visit to the breeder or shelter is a big help, too.)

I don't suppose you have any links or other sources that talk about the Humane Societies putting down hundreds of animals? I haven't heard about such an outbreak in years.

·
Proud New Mommy
2,432 Posts
I would really be happy to see NO petstores selling any animals unless and until each and every store becomes responsible enough to handle the responsibilities, and for each bred animal, there should be 8 rescued ones available. :yes:

People need to realize there ARE other places out there to get animals. Like I said, our store takes wonderful care of our animals but the fact is some Petsmarts don't. That is very true that by buying from one Petsmart, you're funding them all.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
rodentz said:
now, remember thats a peta video, they cannot be trusted. our petsmart dosnt even sell animals.
I agree.I do not trust PETA AT ALL.However I am against most pet stores.We don't have a Petsmart here,but we do have a Pets Unlimited,which is just as bad as that.I have boycotted them...however unless MORE people boycott them,then they will continue to stay in the buisness.

Pet stores are money makers...thats all.Most anyway! I know of a couple decent ones here...but for the most part,I am not a fan!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts