Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the opportunity to see a brand new baby out of the nest today. I took pictures before I put him back and thought I'd share. This baby is probably less than an hour old; you can see where the quills will poke through but aren't there yet!

Tig

Attachments

·
Princess in Waiting
1,377 Posts
Awesome! I know the adults are small but never realized that the babies were just minute! Thanks for sharing - I'm glad I had a chance to see those.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow those are incredible pictures nannyogg!Thanks for posting them:cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looked like she had a second baby in the nest when I put that one back, but I didn't want to disturb her any more so I won't know for sure for another week or two!

Tig

·
Princess in Waiting
1,377 Posts
I had the picture on the screen and told Bub to guess what kind of animal it was. He said he couldn't tell which end was which or where the eyes were, etc. Then as I scrolled to look at another picture he caught sight of the hedgehog under your name so he knew. But we both thought that it reminded us of the possums people have brought us.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, mama eventually decided she didn't want any of the babies =( I would put them in and she'd throw them out. Not too uncommon for a first time mom. We ended up losing two to chill, so I removed the remaining two and put them with another mom. Initially, she threw them out and put them under her hedgebag, but I put them back again and since then, she's had them ensconced in the bag with her babies. Here's a pic of those babies before the second time I put them back with the foster mom. I think 4 days old? You can see that the skin pigment is different already, but they still have the white baby quills.

Tig

Attachments

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
wow thats unreal they have quills and no eyes yet! this is my first tiem seeing a baby hedgie and i must say im impressed!! the one pic of them pre-quills, LOL reminds me of a raw defeathered chicken wing lol (sorry) but it does! they're still amazingly cute tho

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.