Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, so last saturday i got my first hedgehog! Shes adorible and i love her! (she's sitting by the heater of my computer all cuddled up right now)

I have experiance with other pets, (snake, gecko, cat, etc) but i've never had anything like a hedgehog before. I've done research on hedgehogs as pets in little bits for about a year now, but is there anything that i should know?

And how big should her wheel be? I got one along with the cage, but her back touches the joint in the middle. She seems to like running on it, but i don't know if its good for her.

thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yea, and she's actually really friendly and tolerant of lots of people. Only stays in her ball when i take her out for about 2 miniutes. I just wanna know whats a good amount of time for holding her each day, is it ok to hold her more if shes being really friendly

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Cograts! I've always wanted a hedgie. :D

Yeah, she might like a bit bigger of a wheel. Make sure it has a solid bottom, and not a wire one!

With any new pet, it's always a good idea to take handling slow at first. Give her a few days to a week or so to settle in and feel comfortable before you start taking her out a lot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ahh congrats! I too would eventually like a hedgehog :) but yeah same as jess said nice and slowww, good luck :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new hedgie!.........

I , too, just adopted a little hedgie this morning! She is so adorable but is very shy & nervous, right now. Amazing how much i've already learned in the last 20 minutes or so, on pet-talk! Enjoy your new baby, as I certainly will mine. Congrats!

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is hedgehogs are omnivores, so offer her things that have protein (kitten chow, unseasoned cooked chicken) and fiber (fruits and veggies). Hedgehogs should not be fed "people food" with the exception of occasional cottage cheese. Anything the size and shape of a peanut (including peanuts) should be avoided as it could get stuck in the roof of their mouths and they could choke trying to get it out. Also, hedgies love insects because of something in their exoskeletons. Don't feed live insects that you have found in your home or yard; instead buy store bought live or canned insects, or breed your own.

Best of luck

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
oh, I forgot, with the wheel- I went through 3 wheels before I found one big enough for my growing baby. There is a debate about whether the largest size whisper wheel is safe for hedgehogs (I have always found them to be), but this is the size you should shoot for. Think, a wheel that a chinchilla could run on- this would be a good size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts