Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO it is a very cruel thing to try and change a hedgehog's natural circadian rhythm. Trying to alter their usual hours will weaken their immune system and is very stressful.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
it should not be done....it is a nocturnal animal..you should of already known this prior to getting it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok

ok I was just asking. I am NOT going to break his nocturnal habit, I just heard ppl talkin about it and thought I would ask. I will never even think about it again. So dont worry, I would NEVER put Bruno through that. I want him to live healthy and happy. Thanks for letting me know.:thanks:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a hedgehog book and it said it will take time to change their nocturnal habits. so there for it wouldnt cause the animal to be stressful. you just need to know how to do it properly. To change their nocturnal habit you should feed them at a later time each night over a period of several days or have them out during the daytime. when you are ready to go to sleep the hedgehog would be tired from being active during the day. I got my book from feeders supply and i did research on the internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Breaking the nocturnal habits of hedgehogs

i have a hedgehog book and it said it will take time to change their nocturnal habits. so there for it wouldnt cause the animal to be stressful. you just need to know how to do it properly. To change their nocturnal habit you should feed them at a later time each night over a period of several days and/or have them out during the daytime. when you are ready to go to sleep the hedgehog would be tired from being active during the day. I got my book from feeders supply and i did research on the internet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Most animals are nocturnal by nature and do fine being awake during certain periods of the day.
An easy way to get them to wake up during the day is to find a specific time to give them treatsies like mealworms or crickets by hand. Like when you get home from school, wake him up with a mealworm in the face, they love it. Soon they will naturally wake up during that time during the day, expecting yummies.
I would not recommend keeping him awake all day though. Expected spurts are just fine for them though. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would you like some one to make you nocturnal?
force you to stay awake during the night then made to sleep during the day it sounds a bit cruel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try reading my entire post before you get wordy with me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
force you to stay awake during the night then made to sleep during the day it sounds a bit cruel.
Pfft. You should tell my old boss that, maybe I wouldn't have had to do the night shift. ;) haha.

·
Formerly Known as mya_papaya
622 Posts
wowwww!!!!!! ur pretty rude, you have an account in the petfinder forums dont you? seems to me thats where all the rude ones originate

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
i really don't think she was being that rude. Simply pointing out something that a person wants to do to an animal as if someone wanted to do it to them.

just giving advice or their opinion isn't rude. that is how forums work...

·
Formerly Known as mya_papaya
622 Posts
its not like the person said they were going to sit there all day and poke the thing with a pencil every time it nodded off, just seemed to have a general question. and everyone jumps to the conclusion that the little critters going to be tortured

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ron Jeremy is still nocturnal. But it kinda works with my bf and I's schedule. We work at night until 9pm and we dnt go to bed until like 2 or 3am. But when we're ready to lay down or whatever like watch tv we turn the light off and he comes out so we can watch him while we're laying down. And when I have to get up for work at 7am he's still runnin around. At least til i leave then he goes to bed. I like his nocturnalness. We do wake him up for a little bit during the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts