Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a female panda bear hamster and a male teddy bear hamster,would it be alright to breed them?

IF I do breed them, what do I need to do? like, should I keep the father away from the babies? how long before I can take the babies from the mother?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wouldn't suggest breeding them. It's really hard on the female and shortens her already short life. I agree with Alfie, if you want more, there are tons who need a good forever home!!

·
Headlock
680 Posts
you can breed the two after shes in heat and he mates with her you take him out then when she gives birth and the babies are 28 days old you remove her they may look small still but thats how old there suppose to be I use to breed hamsters its not a hard thing to do =] and when you do breed here DO NOT touch her babies when there first born you can start touching them when there 10 days old =] I hope that helps =]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm not going to tell you whether you should or shouldn't breed. I personally wouldn't because there are a lot of homeless animals out there and I wouldn't want to contribute to the problem. If you are aware that hamsters can have up to 15 or more babies, and are willing and financially able to provide seperate homes for them at between 3-4 weeks of age if you can't find people to adopt out to, then you do what you want. I just hope that you are a responsible enough pet owner not to dump them on a shelter or pet store when they become too much trouble. That's my biggest pet peeve with breeding.

The father needs to be seperated as soon as mating is complete. I believe hamsters can get pregnant again as soon as they give birth. I've been told you should breed them either in the male's cage or in a neutral area because the female can sometimes be a little too overprotective of her cage. Either way, make sure it's somewhere you can intervene if they start to fight. The tube cage may not be the best place for this reason- it's too hard to get to them. Typically you want the female in an aquarium after mating because it's safer for the babies. You want to take the wheel away from her when she either becomes too big from the pregnancy to safely run on it, or when she looks like she's about to pop because she can hurt the babies after they're born if they get under the wheel while she's running on it. Also, do you know how old she is? If she's older than six months (I think that's what it is anyway), her pelvis is likely already fused together and the babies won't be able to come out. Other than that, I'd recommend you do some serious research before embarking on this endeavor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with everyone! Its really better not to breed. If you wanna see baby hamsters find a rescue who has a pregnant hamster already that you could adopt. Hamsters are so different then rats, mice and gerbils. I have had baby rats and gerbils and always always held them from the first day they were born. With hamsters you MUST NOT do this. You have to wait at least 2 weeks after the babies are born to touch them. I have heard if the hamster trusts you sometimes it can be done but its still not a wise thing to do. If I were you, if you really want to breed hamsters you must ask yourself why? What is your reason for wanting to breed? If your only reason is for cute babies then please do not breed. Breeding should not be taken lightly. Its a huge responsibility. You have to have extra cages. At least 2 extra cages, one for male pup and one for female pups. You have to have a good rodent vet on your speed dial just incase some were to happen and your hamster would need help delivering them. There are so many things to take into consideration before breeding. My advice is stick around here for a few months. Learn as much as you possibly can. Ask questions, as many as you want concerning breeding and heath and everything. Read and know the pros and cons to breeding. Know that you are shortening the lifespan of your hamster by doing this. If you don't plan on keeping all the offspring you need to have homes lined up for at least some lined up just incase, depending on how many offspring your hamster would have. If your breeding because you want more hamsters just rescue some. If you have alot of space even ask a rescue if they have a mother hamster and her offspring you want. Remember syrian hamsters (teddy bears, panda bears) get pretty big. They usually need a size cage around as big as a long 20 gallon tank. Those tiny plastic/wire cages are horrible and not even good for a mouse let alone a big hamster. Just do lots of research, months and months of research. Know the basics and beyond before you even consider breeding. Because theres so much more to it then just cute babies.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
These are syrian hamsters, ratprincess. They have to be seperated into individual cages between 3-4 weeks or they'll fight to the death. You can't just seperate them males and females.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That early for syrians? I got 2 syrian brothers and they stayed together for months with no fight at all. Until someone yelled at me online so i separated them. I had to keep their cages next to each other because they were so depressed. They even made nests near each other. I figured siblings could stand to be together for a little bit. But then again i have never bred hamsters. I have only had 1 litter of dwarf hamsters but that was because a rescued female i got in was pregnant when i got her.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's what I've always been told, and has been my experience as well. I never understood how they could do it at the pet store without a problem, until I just got Scarlet who had been in a tank with her sisters and noticed she had wounds.

·
Registered
201 Posts
really? wow, i guess you learn something new everyday. I think it also depends on the temperment of the hamster too. I have a friend who had 2 syrians together until the day they died. They were 2-3 years old too. No fight, nothing at all. They were siblings though. But its not something one should risk definatly. But I do think it has something to do with the personality of each hamster. I have never seen bit marks on the hamsters at our local pet supplies plus. They even have adult syrians in their. I dunno what stops them from fighting there or if its just the fact they are all related that stops them. Who knows really.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I guess you could just try to seperate by gender and keep an eye on them, but I'd be afraid they'd fight when I wasn't home and I'd come home to dead and injured hammies.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah that is true. But 3-4 weeks just seems really young to me. On this other forum i am on they said 2-3 months to separate genders or if any sign of aggression happens. But your right, what if you are gone for even a day and they decided to fight. This is a tough call because I understand both sides and have even experienced syrians getting along wonderfully at 4-5 months of age. Its a very tough call.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They can get pregnant as early as 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
wow shows me how much i know lol. But thats why I also stated you need at least 2 cages to separate genders. I guess i had 2 males so i didnt have to worry about that. Wow I am lucky Delilah isnt pregnant. She was 4 weeks old when i got her.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had a rat named Delilah. She WAS pregnant lol.

I used to sing the "Hey there, Delilah" song to her.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hahahaha thats funny cuz thats why I named my ham Delilah lol. Thats a good rat name too. I have had so many rodents in my life and I refuse to reuse names. Well it depends really if i reuse names or not.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I know. I don't like reusing names either. My mom named a cat Smokey Jr. after a cat we had named Smokey, but I hated it. I had a rat named Meatball and I have a rat now named Owen and sometimes I'll call him my little Meatball because he reminds me of the real Meatball.

Sorry, off topic.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Definitely don't rely on Syrians to remain friends. I begged a local shelter to separate some Syrians they had living together because I was too full to take them. They assured me repeatedly that they were "friends" and cuddled all the time. When I finally had room, the oldest female had had an eye bitten out and part of her leg chewed off by her friends.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah its not something you should risk. Just because sometimes they "might" be ok doesnt mean they always will be. Definatly better to be safe then sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts