Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
In NY it's illegal to breed and sell many exotics. Sugar gliders were on that list but I'm not 100% sure if they still are. I would just get a license if you're interested since it'll look better anyways (I, personally, wouldn't get a glider from an unlicensed breeder here since that seems more shady).

May I ask why you're interested in breeding? NY is already full of homeless gliders...I'm not sure if there's much of a market for normal babies (a lot of people would go to a pet store if that's what they wanted). Just some food for thought :).

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I never heard of something like that,didnt think that only stores or licensed breeders could sell them,like ferrets,that cant be illegal??/can it?
Hmm, I'm not sure what you're asking but yeah, it definitely could be illegal. When I kept spiny mice I remember I could only legally have a certain number of litters and couldn't sell them or anything. People break rules like that all the time but places like craigslist would delete your ads, you wouldn't be able to advertise in the newspaper, etc.

·
Lovin' my pack!
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I'm not sure what you're asking but yeah, it definitely could be illegal. When I kept spiny mice I remember I could only legally have a certain number of litters and couldn't sell them or anything. People break rules like that all the time but places like craigslist would delete your ads, you wouldn't be able to advertise in the newspaper, etc.
I was just browsing the pet sectiion of Craigslist,and came across that discussion,just didn't know if it were a bunch of rude people commenting or what.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Animal law is a complicated issue. Some states don't make it easy to find answers in their laws either.

You do need to find out if they are legal to breed, and what the requirements are. You should also check with USDA/APHIS about any requirements they might have.

If you were to breed animals in violation of NY law, that's just a state problem. However, if you were to advertise them for sale on the internet, that could be considered offering them for sale in interstate commerce. Illegal animals sold (even OFFERED for sale) into interstate commerce violates a federal law called the Lacey Act.

My advice, is that unless you REALLY understand state and local regulations, don't breed and sell your animals. You could really get into some situations that you really don't want. Some state/city/county officials can be very unforgiving, even if kids are the offenders. Your parents could be liable for some hefty fines and your animals could taken and/or euthanized.

It might be perfectly legal, but just to be sure, check with the Fish and Game Dept and ask them for the laws that govern sugar gliders and breeding.

Bob

·
Lovin' my pack!
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Animal law is a complicated issue. Some states don't make it easy to find answers in their laws either.

You do need to find out if they are legal to breed, and what the requirements are. You should also check with USDA/APHIS about any requirements they might have.

If you were to breed animals in violation of NY law, that's just a state problem. However, if you were to advertise them for sale on the internet, that could be considered offering them for sale in interstate commerce. Illegal animals sold (even OFFERED for sale) into interstate commerce violates a federal law called the Lacey Act.

My advice, is that unless you REALLY understand state and local regulations, don't breed and sell your animals. You could really get into some situations that you really don't want. Some state/city/county officials can be very unforgiving, even if kids are the offenders. Your parents could be liable for some hefty fines and your animals could taken and/or euthanized.

It might be perfectly legal, but just to be sure, check with the Fish and Game Dept and ask them for the laws that govern sugar gliders and breeding.

Bob
I just wanted to make clear that I dont have ANY sugargliders.I think they're cool looking animals,Their lifestyle of being nocturnal just wouldnt fit into our lifestyle as we have a baby.This was just a topic I brought up as I seen it discussed on CL,and hope you don't think I'm breaking some sort of laws.I breed keets and Cockers and am well aware of the laws and such for the state and even the town I live in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts