Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just got a new little guy not that long ago...he is very, very sweet but proving he can be quite a handful since he has gotten lose from his cage several times now and I am trying to get the cage as escape proof as I can using hardware cloth to keep him in which I have heard people say is a good thing for them.

what has now become an issue is that all the books I have so far picked up and read say that....rats usually seem to do better in pairs. And so I am trying to look into the idea of adopting him a playmate. The only issue is that this would need to wait until after the holidays just since it would work better time wise....to do so.

I wanted some opinions from other people as to how I should go about with adopting another rat....and introducing him to Sampson..(my guy)
is it going to be an issue that I wait a little bit of time to do this? I can't say it thrills me to put it off but since my birthday is in December as well the holidays mean I will be spending a lot of time with family and traveling.....and to get sampson used to me he usually travels with me when I go.

hopefully this will all end well and everyone will be happy in the long run.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I adopted my VERY cage aggressive male and managed to introduce him almost overnight to my other male Yuki ... It all comes down to personality my boys one is naturally submissive and one is dominating. Also I had my male neutered which really helps.

However introductions should start in the bathtub with some water in it ( not more than a few inches) and a little island you have to watch their body language you CAN NOT just put them in the cage with him... Before you even do the neutral territory you have to Switch hammocks and then move the cages closer to each other ... Its a long process.

The only problem with one first is he will see the cage as " his"

However I do have a suggestion ... Get a new cage before getting a new boy ... You need one for quarantine/ a cage for the new boy Plus if you cant keep the one boy contained it will be very hard for you to keep two boys contained ... You can get a CN single level a super pet exotics ... Whatever you get I would make sure it only has 1/2 inch bar spacing

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have one of those in storage at my apartment I believe so I think I can use that.....while working with them.......getting to know each other. I don't think waiting til after the holidays will be that bad for it....if anything it will give me more time to spend with the two of them....and helping them bond easier.

hopefully all shall go well.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
it wont really affect much but mentally they can suffer from not having a companion and the longer he is alone the harder it will be

BTW for sexing Parakeets the males have blue "noses" that tissue around their nostrils if i remember correctly ... Random I know but I saw you didnt know in your sig :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohh yeah I forgot I had that one there sadly sam ended up passing away on us.....and a lot of those animals are now my mothers not mine since I moved out.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Oh I am sorry :( I was just trying to help

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its ok....yeah oddly enough this year after I moved out of my mom's place I had a lot of bad luck my two long term guinea pigs passed asway as well as my very first hamster piglett oddly they all seemed to handle the move just fine...just they were all getting very on up there. It sort of shocked my family cause I was kind of shallow in my feelings about the situation.

I wasn't really trying to be up caring its just that.....I am going to school for veterinary technology training and you see sick animals come and go all the time so in a way you have to kind of in a sense become numb to it.....other wise the emotional draw backs to it will be torture to you.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Trust me I understaand I lived on a farm and watched so many of our animals die you kind become a little desensitized

But back on topic what cage are you using?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
its a super pet cage that is about three levels tall but its adjustable I have already fixed it down to where its about two levels now.
and I have another wire cage that I will probably end up using for the other...one...which I am thinking I will pick up probably later on Monday....I am thinking that getting another male that is hopefully about as old as Sampson is......and that seems to get along with other rats would be good......just try to be as observant with the new comer as I can.

its totally big enough for another.....the only issue with it is that the spacing in between the bars is not so great....but I am making it work out with hardware cloth......I still have some work to do on the thing but for the most part it should be just fine in about a day or so...

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
According to the cage calculator, the dimensions are doable for a couple of rats.

Cage Calculator: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

1/2 inch bar spacing is the right spacing for most rats, though the largest male rats can be safely housed in 1 inch bar spacings.

That cage with the hardware cloth will do for the time being, but rats are such climbers and explorers, they'll also be much happier with some free play in a rat proofed area.

Rat Proofing: http://www.80stoysale.com/ratproof.htm

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
well this stuff is entirely temporary anyway until they both get used to them their main cage is a much better bigger size this is just going to be used for the new arrival until him and Sampson are getting along well.
Then he will be moved into the big cage, I don't really want to put hardware cloth on this I think it will work just fine for introduction time....if it doesn't I have a 10 gallon tank that I can put him in also...
I am working very hard on improving my room so its better and rat proof.....(also doing that with the bigger cage too)
and totally working on some play animals for them also...

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Tanks are not suitable too little ventilation. And you can make a playpen for them really cheap. Just with particle board.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
were as i totally understand what you mean I really am going to try and get them introduced to each other as soon as I really can. and hopefully they can all be living happily in their bigger cage VERY soon.

trust me I am very much doing everything in my power to give these little guys the best care that I possibly can....

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I only do water intro's for difficult rats, aggressive rats, but not for most intro's, its not needed and can be quite scary.

As for Samson, how old is he? If he's a baby intro's are sooo easy, babies see another baby as someone to play with. Territorial behaviours start after 3 months or more...before that they usually think "Yay! a playmate!" :D

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I only do water intro's for difficult rats, aggressive rats, but not for most intro's, its not needed and can be quite scary.
Agreed! I did a water intro with four of my six boys, but only after trying everything else suggested to me and working on a slow and patient daily basis for over 30 days. Even that wasn't 100 percent until I neutered my two troublemakers. It wasn't required for any of my other kids.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
off the top of my head I am really not sure but i think that sampson is about a month old according to the guys I got him from at the petstore in town where I adopted him. His new soon to be play mate that I have name Rally Red or just Rally for short. I think is roughly about four to five weeks old.

I am going to wait a couple more night I make sure to wash my hands every time I handle them. And when I bring them out to cuddle them I let them see each other so they notice they are in the same room.
I hope all goes well. Everyone has told me that these guys should still be young and I should not have issues.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that the people I got Sampson from told me was about a motn or so old. The other new guy Rally is probably about 4-5 weeks old I think!

I am going to wait maybe a day or so more and then try doing introd with them in the bath tub if need be i wil try your suggestion of doing a little bit of water.

Every time I get them out for indivual play time I try to have them look at the other one to notice that there is in fact another rat in the room.

Hopefully all shall go well I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so I am a little freaked out right now....just a little I tried doing the first introduction tonight and everything seemed like it went well there was even a little bit of grooming involved on both guys part...but Rally end up starting a fight with sampson I took a look at sampson and he looked ok...but he did have a little nix on him which didn't seem like it was bad but it took a while to lightin up as far as the bleeding. I am un sure if this is something I should be concerned over or not. I have a girl friends that works with exotics but I have not been able to get a hold of her to ask her...her opinon or not....on the matter I would just feel better to know if this normal or abnormal....

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I freaked out when I first got Yuki and he cut his toe and it just wouldnt stop bleeding ... I think thats normal as long as its not a serious area as for the fight was it play or more aggressive like a dominance fight?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts