Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was finally able to have Bruce neutered, if anyone remembers much about that situation. The vet there said to wait 6-8 weeks before introducing him to a colony. Is this about right? I want to decrease his alone time as much as possible.

Also, should I attempt to introduce him to the males, or skip trying that and place him with the girls? I've heard neutered male to female introductions are easiest, but with that I have to be sure he's sterile before beginning any intros.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Was finally able to have Bruce neutered, if anyone remembers much about that situation. The vet there said to wait 6-8 weeks before introducing him to a colony. Is this about right? I want to decrease his alone time as much as possible.

Also, should I attempt to introduce him to the males, or skip trying that and place him with the girls? I've heard neutered male to female introductions are easiest, but with that I have to be sure he's sterile before beginning any intros.
Was/is Bruce hormonally aggressive? Is so he may need that long for the hormones/behaviours to settle down. If he's only a male that is being put with intact girls, then 3 weeks is sufficicent.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I previously posted a thread about Bruce, you had said you suspected hormonal aggression. I didn't think that was it since he wasn't puffing, wall sidling, etc. but working with him myself and slow intros to the other males were getting me nowhere, so I opted for a neuter when I got the chance to get one done for free.

The practice is rat savvy, but the particular vet I got is not, so she just Googled how long rats are to be separate after a neuter and god knows what site she ended up on. I figured you'd know better, Lilspaz, ha. 8 weeks sounded too long for him to remain fertile. And like I said, I hate him living alone.

I don't want surprise Brucie litters, either. (;

edit; here's the previous thread if you needed it:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/tips-to-help-an-aggressive-rat-60345.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts