Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some lady on some local forums was looking for an apartment and posted this list. As you see, this stupid and very racist law is just silly.

1.AIREDALE TERRIER
2.AKBASH
3.AKITA
4.ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5,ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6.ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7.AMERICAN BULLDOG
8.AMERICAN HUSKY
9.AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10.AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11.AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12.ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13.ARIKARA DOG
14.AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15.AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16.BELGIAN MALINOIS
17.BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18.BELGIAN TURVUREN
19.BLUE HEELER
20.BOERBUL
21.BORZOI
22.BOSTON TERRIER
23.BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24.BOXER
25.BULLDOG
26.BULL TERRIER
27.BULL MASTIFF
28.CANE CORSO
29.CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30.CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31.CHINESE SHAR PEI
32.CHOW-CHOW
33.COLORADO DOG
34.DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35.DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36.DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37.ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38.ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39.ESKIMO DOG
40.ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41.FILA BRASILIERO
42.FOX TERRIER
43.FRENCH BULLDOG
44.GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45.GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46.GREENLAND HUSKY
47.GREAT DANE
48.GREAT PYRENEES
49.ITALIAN MASTIFF
50.KANGAL DOG
51.KEESHOND
52.KOMONDOR
53.KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54.KUVAZ
55.LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56.LEONBERGER
57.MASTIFF
58.NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59.NEWFOUNDLAND
60.OTTERHOUND
61.PRESA DE CANARIO
62.PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63.PUG
64.ROTTWEILER
65.SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66.SAINT BERNARD
67.SAMOYED
68.SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69.SIBERIAN HUSKY
70.SPANISH MASTIFF
71.STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72.TIMBER SHEPHERD
73.TOSA INU
74.TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75.WOLF SPITZ

Some I can see being deadly in the wrong hands but others...well its just not in their nature.

But...a pug? C'mon now....

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Oh yes I'm sure a Newfoundland dog would love to kill people too. (epic eye roll) Since they were intentionally bred to SAVE lives. I think this lest includes big dogs capable of inflicting a bad bite... But beware the pugs!!! (ducks) omg they're gonna get us!!! noooooooooooooo

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this lest includes big dogs capable of inflicting a bad bite
I thought that too till I saw the almighty pug :spit:

But of course another issue with BSL lists is that really dumb people are really dumb. A really dumb person would assume these dogs are dangerous and that some breeds (with bite records high in other places and that can be just as aggressive as a drug dealer's APBTs) that aren't on the list are safe.

Example. Thai ridgeback. Thats one dog I would NOT want to mess with. I'd rather be chased by a rabid APBT than a thai, a dog that can already climb trees.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Aw yeah... my sister has a really sweet husky and had a really hard time finding an apartment that would take her. A lot of times it wasn't really the landlords fault, but their insurance companies wouldn't cover the apartment building anymore if they had a tenant living in the building that owned a dog on the dangerous dog list. So no matter how sweet the dog is, the landlords just don't want to risk loosing their insurance.

· Registered
37 Posts
Golden Retrievers and St Bernards would probably lick people to death if that counts ... but the best a Pug could really do is trip people up - they are quite small!

· Registered
5,304 Posts
It would be nice if you had to get a license for your dog to live in an apt, and to get it you have to take it to have it personality tested. If the dog proves to be dog aggressive, you must own a muzzle. If dog is human aggressive, then they can rate it and if it doesn't pass they can't live at the apt.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
How are pugs, french bulldogs, boston terriers, ect dangerous? The only explanation I can think of is that they will kill us with their cuteness or smother us is kisses or something.

BSL is SO friggin dumb. They should ban the owners, not dogs!

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Oh, this list doesn't protect the general public from travellers who keep big dogs for luggage protection. St. John's is just crawling with these types of people who are young and jobless and choose to hitchhike the country rather than fall into the mass of corporate mindless dummies. There is 1 guy residing on the streets now (actually he sleeps in someone's house but the dogs not allowed) he has a grown shepherd named Mallory. The dog is aggressive. IT guards his pack and meagre belongings while he goes into drug houses and sleeps god knows where. The dog stays outside. He muzzles her but I've seen her almost grab some old ladies shih tzu.

These scum bags encourage BSL bc they train their dogs for guarding. It makes me sick. The poor dogs don't have regular diets or mealtimes either. Since they don't work they make sick signs scribbled on cardboard "help me feed my dog" and etc,. They make me so mad. WHY have a living thing if you have to feed it with other people's money?!?!? GAAA It's bad enough my tax dollars go to other people who are able bodied too...

Sorry for turning this into a rant. I'm done now. Just wanted to fit in these homeless people with dogs.

· she-mayor of Whoville
298 Posts
haha great post with great point- it all comes down to the individualized training of the dog by the owner, and the owner's own sense of control over the dog.

And i love the antidote about the pug- my pug personally would welcome intruders so.. I really don't think most pugs are a threat. :p :D

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
ANY dog can bite. That list is ridiculous. There are many breeds on there that shouldn't be on there. I am against BSL (Bull Sh*t Legislation) because if you ban ONE breed...another breed is just going to "fall in place".

Besides banning a breed does nothing,people will still sneak these breeds in whether they are allowed or not.

I have actually met several smaller breeds...chihuahuas,poms,shih tzus and smaller terriers who were a lot more aggressive then shepherds,mastiffs and "bully breeds". And a few years ago,there was a news story about a pomeranian that attacked and killed an infant. I will see if I can dig up that story. I trust APBT's more then I trust a pom or chihuahua,because in my experiences I have met neurotic and saucy small dogs.

But a VERY important factor is dog aggression does NOT equal human aggression. A lot of dogs are aggressive towards other dogs for various reasons,but this does not mean they are human aggressive. Unfortunately a lot of people confuse or combine those two types of aggression.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Haha and don't make me laugh! The Newfoundland? Pug?

Normally these breeds are gentle. Of course,any dog with teeth can bite and has the potential to bite if not properly trained or abused or whatever...but I have never heard of any attacks of Newfs/pugs killing people. Newfs are one of the friendliest dog breeds out there.

My neighbor has two beagle/chihuahua/terrier mixes and they are saucy little things who have lunged at my daughter and one day,I watched them run across the street and bite an old man who was jogging down the road...and these are really small dogs. The owner is an idiot,but that is beside the point.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
The owner is an idiot,but that is beside the point.
I don't think that's besides the point though...I think that probably is the point. Owners who are idiots often times have dogs who are aggressive and/or not trained properly, and it's those dogs who can potentially go on to give other dogs a bad rap.

Any breed can bite, any dog can be saucy no matter what it's size. It usually comes down to how they are raised, socialized, trained, and managed by the owners.

I don't like hearing people stereotype small dogs any more then I like when they stereotype large dogs or breeds like pitties. Each dog is an individual, and I strongly believe that their behavior is very strongly influenced by how they are managed by their owner(s).

It's sad that there are so many people out there that, for whatever reason, just don't manage their dogs properly. They aren't just hurting their dogs, but they are hurting potentially countless numbers of other dogs and their owners by perpetuating a negative stereotype.

· Guarded by Waffles
3,257 Posts
OMG! That pug pic! It's going to kill us!

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Well in my personal experience,more small/toy breeds have been saucy and aggressive then larger breeds. I do believe the owners play a big roll,but it is not just the owners...bad genes also play a roll.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Hmm...but how is saying that small breed dogs are aggressive any different than people saying things about large dogs being aggressive, or pit bulls being aggressive?

It's the same way with larger dogs - they can have bad genes as well. And yet people seem to get so (understandably) upset when BSL is directed towards larger breeds, but then are much more accepting of negative stereotypes when they are directed towards smaller breeds.

It doesn't make sense to me. I love all dogs, big and small, and I don't judge them based on things like size. I am totally against BSL, but I don't really understand why people would argue against BSL by saying that smaller dogs are more aggressive than larger ones. Isn't that just taking the negative stereotypes that you hate so much to hear about larger dogs, and attaching it to small dogs instead?

Anyways I don't mean to be argumentative....But this is kind of a pet peeve of mine.:rolleyes:

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
I think one of the main problems with little dogs though is that some owners think that their small dogs are "cute" when they act aggressive, and since they don't think their dogs is big enough to do any damage, they don't do anything about the aggression. So I think that that is a reason there are more small agressive dogs than large ones. My Shih-tzu and his small dog friends are all well behaved and non-aggressive, and so are the sharpei and 120 lb Olde English bulldog I know. And then there are some little dogs in my neighborhood who belong to first-time dog owners who think their dogs are PERFECT and treat them like they are, and they are Satan's spawn or something.
There's also a mini American Eskimo that I walk who is aggressive towards new dogs and people because he was abused in his previous home. I don't think that ANY breed big or small has anything to do with an individual dog's aggression.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I get what everyone is saying about all dog's being individuals. I find the biggest problem with ignorant owners is the lack of knowledge they have about their breed. I work with a high school girl who just got a terrier mix puppy. When she was talking about getting a puppy I warned her of the energy levels of a terrier, she said what any kid getting a new pet will tell you, "Oh, I know I'll take him out every day " blah blah blah.. This is the type of girl who just posted pictures of her kissing her new 'baby' toy and snuggling it as if its a new photo op. I hate to see the destruction this dog will cause when he gets bored of not being able to track and run for an hour or so each day. I also doubt she will walk it when it rains.

People get jack russell terriers because they're so darn cute. Then don't know how to handle its energy. Same thing with little dogs, as Jess said, people just think the behavior is cute and don't do anything to correct it. There's an old lady who owns 2 white maltese-type things that just watch out the window when I goes to the park with Coco at the end of my road. I heard her call one "mitsy" and I seen one in denim overalls once (it was very cute) but they are just her accessories. They can't be that hapy bc they don't get out much to exercise.

That is to say, people who have small problem dogs are still contributing to an x stereotype because they fail to meet the dogs energy needs.

***That sleepy pug is too cute!

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Hmm...but how is saying that small breed dogs are aggressive any different than people saying things about large dogs being aggressive, or pit bulls being aggressive?
Ummm,where the heck did I say ALL small breeds are aggressive? I am not that stupid. I know they are not. I have met some very sweet ones.

I said IN MY EXPERIENCE smaller breeds are more neurotic and saucy then bigger breeds. I did not say ALL anywhere. Please read my posts carefully.
I know a saucy aggressive Labrador that lives near me. I love Labs,but don't trust this one.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
And also with small breeds,people (not all,don't take my posts out of context) treat them as human babies or accessories and this is a major problem and what causes a lot of dogs to be neurotic and saucy and other behavior problems. That is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine,people treating dogs like humans...no boundaries,no rules...etc,etc (regardless of breed).

A dog is a dog. And it bothers me when people carry chihuahuas or other small dogs around in purses. Also bothers me when people get away with bringing their little dogs into stores,but if someone wants to bring their well behaved larger breed in,they are not allowed.

My point is,a small breed can be just as nasty in the wrong hands as larger breeds if not treated right.

I am against BSL...I don't want ANY breed banned,it won't do anything anyways. Ban one breed and the media and public will just go after another breed. After all several years ago people feared dobermans and German shepherds. People believed that a doberman's brain would grow too big for it's skull and it would go crazy and attack everyone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.