Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, why are you guys spending a ton of money on crappy store or internet bought Degus cages? From what I have seen, they ALL suck for Degus.

It's so much cheaper and funner to make your own cage, and the materials are really cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.

I'm making this thread because I saw videos on Youtube of a guy who makes his own Degus cages, and they are GREAT.

youtube.com/watch?v=36Pg1JhLwfk

Check out his cages!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
That's really cool!! I have no degus though :lol:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just be warned, when looking for materials make sure you DO NOT get glavenized wire. I had a run in with it a year or so ago. I found it very difficult to locate the proper powder coated wire in building stores, but that may be just the area i am in haha. I just thuoght i would mention that tid bit of info, i was not sureif you knew about galvenized wire or not? :) good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just be warned, when looking for materials make sure you DO NOT get glavenized wire. I had a run in with it a year or so ago. I found it very difficult to locate the proper powder coated wire in building stores, but that may be just the area i am in haha. I just thuoght i would mention that tid bit of info, i was not sureif you knew about galvenized wire or not? :) good luck
I wouldn't use wire at all in my cage anyways....it's not good for their feet, and I don't like it for a door because I can't see well through it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
ah ok that is good :) I just saw materials and thought you meant wire and all that good stuff haha I just wanted to let you know, because i had no idea about the wire and bought a tank topper made out of it and could not use it unless i risked my goos lives :(
That video was really neat though and great idea for a house for goos :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Building your own shelves (lava ledges) with kiln dried pine and L brackets save you a lot of money.

I made 5 ledges for $25, which would've been equal to just 2 lava ledges/platforms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts