Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We just picked up 4 degus last night. It is the first time we have had any but I have done a lot of reading on how to keep them before hand.

The cage they came with is fairly large (about 4ft high, 2ft wide by 1.5ft deep) but has mesh shelves and IMO isnt big enough for 4 of them (after seeing these guys running around outside the cage and seeing how high and far they can jump I think they definitely need more space to play).

I have been thinking about building a bigger enclosure for them but had a few questions.

1) The main frame will be built out of pine but I was worried about them chewing through this. Would there be any issues with covering the inside of the frame with a smaller mesh wire to make it more difficult to get to?

2) I was thinking of covering the base of the cage either with acrylic or with tiles. Acrylic would be easier but was worried about them chewing it. I also wanted the sides to have acrylic panels in but again worried about them chewing through it. Any suggestions?

3) In terms of size I was thinking around 6ft high, 6ft long and about 1.5ft deep (we have a recess in a wall that is just about this size so would fit perfectly). It will have 3 "doors" which will just be 3 2ft sections of the front that are on hinges (we aren't too worried about them getting out when we open the door).

4) Any good places to buy cheap (but decent looking) wire from (in the UK)?

·
Registered
389 Posts
4) When buying wire do not get galvenized wire!!!! Try and find powder coated wire. I am not sure of places to buy as i live in the US.
3) The size sounds very large for goos they should love it :)
2) I would go with tiles because they can't chew them and plus on those hot summer days, tiles will stay cool for them to lay on.
1) As long as your goos have plenty of toys their chewing on the cage shouldn't be as much, you just need to find plenty of ways to enternain them haha. As for pine i have heard it is not good for degu's but i am not sure with building a cage or anything.

Good luck and congrats on getting degus and WELCOME to Paw-talk :) :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

We just picked up 4 degus last night. It is the first time we have had any but I have done a lot of reading on how to keep them before hand.

The cage they came with is fairly large (about 4ft high, 2ft wide by 1.5ft deep) but has mesh shelves and IMO isnt big enough for 4 of them (after seeing these guys running around outside the cage and seeing how high and far they can jump I think they definitely need more space to play).

I have been thinking about building a bigger enclosure for them but had a few questions.

1) The main frame will be built out of pine but I was worried about them chewing through this. Would there be any issues with covering the inside of the frame with a smaller mesh wire to make it more difficult to get to?

2) I was thinking of covering the base of the cage either with acrylic or with tiles. Acrylic would be easier but was worried about them chewing it. I also wanted the sides to have acrylic panels in but again worried about them chewing through it. Any suggestions?

3) In terms of size I was thinking around 6ft high, 6ft long and about 1.5ft deep (we have a recess in a wall that is just about this size so would fit perfectly). It will have 3 "doors" which will just be 3 2ft sections of the front that are on hinges (we aren't too worried about them getting out when we open the door).

4) Any good places to buy cheap (but decent looking) wire from (in the UK)?
hello m8 im from the uk to m8 and have had the same thought as in and old wardrob (as ive done a few of these for reptiles), I no they are sensertive to chemicals like degus so if you want it to clean easer than wood how about try a water baise wood priserver (look for aquatic safe as these are none toxic (no fungicides added) ive used B N Q own and its very good it seal like a varnish and is 100% safe (again personal eaperienc with reptiles) B n Q sell plastic coated wire out side from memory its not that cheep about £26 per role but you could possibily try freecycle see if anyone has any they might give away, as said please do not use galvanised its toxic if chewed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry not been online for awhile. Thanks for the info, in the end after pricing up the wood and other bits it was actually going to cost more then buying a new cage off ebay. We ended up getting a chin cage from an ebay store (4ftX2ftX5ft) which is perfect.

We put in a load of (kiln dried) pine platforms and replaced the bottom plastic tray with a solid piece of pine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts