Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, and thank you for having me join this forum!

I have a 2 month old bunny, and she has been with us for a month. She stays in the backyard and at night she sleeps under the fundations of a wooden gazebo. She has other shelters but does not use them.

She is provided with rabbit food but she prefers to just eat grass. She looks active and healthy. My previous bunny, who died of old age, lived in the yard for 7 years and never had any health issues.

Well, two days ago I found in the morning that the bunny could no longer hold one of her ears up.

She is an American common rabbit, grey, short hair, fairly small furry ears that she always held up high. Now she holds up high only one ear.

Two days ago it was drizzling, so I wonder if water went into her ear? Could she have hit her ear against the top of the gazebo floor? She also had a small glob of dirt, which I removed, attached to the fur behind that ear, but not attached to her skin. There is less fur behind that ear than behind the other one.

I saw no redness anywhere, no discharge, no pain at the touch. Can rabbits injure their ear cartilage and end up with a floppy ear forever? Should I take her to the vet?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Welcome to paw talk i hope you enjoy your time here :)Bringing her to the vet might be a good option. and the lack of fur has she always had that behind the ear? as it might be mites.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Are you sure she isn't part lop? Some lop's ears stand up at first, and don't flop over until they are a little older.
I'd take her to the vet if she is losing fur though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When first got my bun said to be a dwarf lop mix, he had one ear up and one ear down.. And now they both stand straight up, but if he gets really tired or really annoyed he will let his one ear flop again.. I hope her losing fur isn't something bad! But I would take her to the vet, always better safe than sorry!

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Speckle has bald spots/patches around her neck area, she's been like this since i got her at 8 weeks old, she's been to the Vet twice and none of them said this was bad, is it bad? since you guys mentioned the bunny losing fur could be bad, she's a mini rex mix (she definitely has the rex fur)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
If she is not a lop mix she might have injured herself. Living outside in a yard open to the elements and predators is a bad idea to begin with if she is not supervised. A cat or bird might have gotten in, or can get in. I would bring her in for routine check up to make sure there is nothing going on.

I would also advise you get or build a bunny hutch if she's going to live outside. You can make it as big as you like with NIC cubes or dog pens but I would be most concerned about predators.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep her inside if you can, she's too young to be outside anyways, plus she will have more company, they love attention!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts