Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you take your bunny with you on trips when you can? We take Noodle with us whenever possible. We use her smaller/travel cage with her favorite treats and toys(which she pretty-much ignores). We drive 1000 miles to our vacation home with her. We stay overnight in a bunny-friendly motel (Red Roof) and then arrive the next day.

In the car, Noodle is very inactive and has herself mostly in neutral. At the motel she does run a bit and enjoys being out of the cage. When we arrive at our vacation home, she starts out slowly but then remembers the house and likes it. At home, she is cage-free mostly during the day with close supervision. It may take a day or two for her to get in a groove. Until then, unexpected peeing will occur, so we have to pay attention.

How is you bunny in the car and in a new environment?

·
Registered
16 Posts
we dont take pour anywhere b/c its so hot here in Phoenix. Even when its cool the sun is out and the car heats up quick. Dont want anything to happen to them. Vacations-we have someone come buy and check on them. And we load their cages (in large/extra large dogcages indoors) up with lots of fun goodies to keep them busy. :D

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Smudge freaks out and pees himself during car rides, poor thing. :rolleyes: So the only time he leaves the house is to go to the vet.

My sister's rabbit Oreo, who passed away, came with us on a 300 mile road trip to ND once. He broke his leg on the day we left, and my sister was worried about him and didn't want to leave him with the bunny-sitter, so he came with us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments! I guess there are as many bunny personalities as there are humans. As long as Noodle eventually recovers from the long car rides we'll continue to travel with her.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I never travel bc I'm too broke. The bunnies only ever go to the vet. Acacia's been on the treacherous 5-10 minutes drive from my old house to here as we moved. Poor thing!! lol She was bunny burrito in my bf's arms the whole way and was terrified!! lol

Akina was alright travelling in her carrier to and from the vet. She went so often she just got used to it. She did not eat but she was inquisitve.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had to take my bunny to the vet a lot this last week, 3 days in a row once! And we put him in his small carrier, and he huddles in the back corner looking terrified :( poor bun. But i think he is getting more used to it. He warms up to new places fairly quickly!

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
That's good, its scary to bunnies sometimes to be moving around everywhere. But some get used to it, some never do. I hope Benji is feeling better :)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I use to have a Netherlands dwarf who was my little traveling buddy. I had him while I was in college. We lived in a very small apartment near campus and I use to travel a ton on weekends and school vacations.

He was incredibly good with the car rides, and took all of 2 seconds to adjust to his new living area once we got to where we where going. I use to take him on anything from the 45 minute trips to visit my parents to the 6 hour trips to visit my boyfriend. I never had any bad experiences traveling with him.

Then I eventually adopted him a buddy, Barnaby (who I still have) and they bonded instantly, but Barnaby is very shy/timid (he was neglected before I got him) and would get very nervous and uncomfortable every time he had to travel. So after Barnaby came into the picture, I would much more often leave the bunnies home with a pet sitter while I traveled.

My dwarf (his name was Zeus) passed away from cancer right before I graduated college so he didn't make it long enough to move with us - but since I moved two years ago I've been doing much less traveling and Barnaby is very happy about that. He doesn't have to travel or have strangers take care of him. He's very much a creature of habit, and any break in his normal routine stresses him out.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
It's very interesting to read about the different reactions buns have as far as a change in environment.

Not ever having had bunnies I never gave it much thought before. If I had thought about it I guess I would have thought they would we stressed by traveling, car rides and new places.

But now I know that some are and some aren't, and it doesn't necessarily matter, if they were raised to it or not. Right?

A bun might have been taken places from a young age, but still find it stressful, where another bun might take to traveling like a pro.

I love reading about buns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noodle traveled well on this trip but is paying us back by peeing everywhere - not real sprays just little leaks. We have a large screened porch here and she really likes it there - nature sounds, room to run and jump, places to fall over and relax. The full speed dashes with a jump in the middle are video-worthy. We'll head home this weekend for another overnight drive. She is a sweetie and a lucky bunny.

Attachments

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
I've read rabbits don't like car rides, I've taken Speckle to visit friends, which is probably about a 5-10min drive, and once even on a 30min drive and she seemed calm, she does stay at the back of her carrier but everytime she we go on a small trip she ends up laying down and taking a nap. I always thought she kind of liked them, but being that the friend I got her from got her from a flea market type thing, I'm assuming the person who sold them drove them around a lot, so it could be that she's use to it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When kodo comes with me in the car, he usually just sits there in his carrier and doesn't touch his food or toys and when we get to a new environment he usually just sits in his cage not daring to come out. He is also very wide eyed so he must be terrified.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts