Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CALIFORNIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill AB 258 (Molly's Bill) http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_258_bill_20110222_status.html has been referred to the Agriculture Committee. Please contact Committee members (especially Chair Galgiani (916) 319-2017 Assemblymember[email protected] ) and ask that they vote "Ought to Pass."

2011 California Agriculture Committee http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newcomframeset.asp?committee=53

Committee Phone (916) 319-2084

• Cathleen Galgiani - Chair
(916) 319-2017[email protected]
  • David G. Valadao - Vice Chair
(916) 319-2030[email protected]
  • Bill Berryhill
(916) 319-2026[email protected]
  • Jerry Hill
(916) 319-2019[email protected]
  • Fiona Ma
(916) 319-2012[email protected]
  • Tony Mendoza
(916) 319-2056[email protected]
  • Kristin Olsen
(916) 319-2025[email protected]
  • Henry T. Perea
(916) 319-2031[email protected]
  • Mariko Yamada
(916) 319-2008[email protected]

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hearing April 6th

CALIFORNIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill AB 258 Hearing Date April 6 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_258_bill_20110310_status.html before the Assembly Agriculture Committee. Please contact Committee Chair Cathleen Galgiani (916) 319-2017 [email protected] and ask the committee to vote "ought to pass."

Please attend the hearing if you can and share this message with everyone you know in California, the more California pet owners the committee hears from, the more likely the bill will pass.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as I know most counties accept titers and have a three year in effect.
Which counties accept titers?

This bill would allow seriously ill dogs in all counties to receive a waiver from the mandated rabies boosters if their veterinarian has determined they are too sick to be vaccinated. Many precious lives hinge on this bill passing as there are too many counties which do not accept titers and do not allow for any exemptions whatsoever, even if a dog is dying from heart failure or cancer.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
There are a few people in my old co-op (SF) that said their counties were titer friendly.

Anyway the real issue I was trying to make was with the California deficit. Maybe passing a bill to allow other parties to pay for testing (like the anti vaccination groups which yes I support) would be awesome. But asking a state in need to stop some revenue is kinda...well...lets just say our schools are crumbling along with roadways and I'm tired of mental patients walking around because institutes can no longer afford to hold them. Asking the same state to then take taxpayer money and pay for the tests (which btw could easily have iffy results seeing as Hills and other pro vaccination groups write the text books for DVMs) is just asking for a failure.

I think we need to rethink this. Thats all I'm saying. 3rd party tests done out of the state by a neutral lab.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Asking the same state to then take taxpayer money and pay for the tests is just asking for a failure.

I think we need to rethink this. Thats all I'm saying. 3rd party tests done out of the state by a neutral lab.
You misunderstand this bill, there is no testing involved here for titers or anything else (have you read the text?). If you have a seriously ill dog -- say one with auto immune hemolytic anemia, and it is due for its 3 year rabies booster, but your veterinarian says your dog is too ill to be vaccinated, they will be able to simply write a letter that will exempt the dog from the requirement. No tests.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
DPH costs of approximately $40,000 for one half of 2011-12 and $80,000 for 2012-13 for a veterinary research scientist to amend the regulations and develop the exemption form.

THAT test. That test costs a lot for a dying state. I know just as well as you do that vaccinating a sick mammal isn't the thing to do.

The bill introduced last year failed not because of policy but was killed in budget appropriations "because the state's Department of Health said it would cost $140,000 to change three sentences on a one-page regulation."

It has been tried. I'm just thinking more time should be spend working around it. Also maybe we should add in that rabies tags be a must along with license tags. At least this way, they won't feel that there is such a threat to their precious income. I'm not sure where you're from but we tend to have small rabies carrying mammals up here. If one animal gets bit and one is using license as proof of rabies (but that bill is passed) then...well other problems arise.

I'm like you, a fighter. I hate to see FIV+ and FeLV+ cats go through this.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
DPH costs of approximately $40,000 for one half of 2011-12 and $80,000 for 2012-13 for a veterinary research scientist to amend the regulations and develop the exemption form.

THAT test. That test costs a lot for a dying state.

The bill introduced last year failed not because of policy but was killed in budget appropriations "because the state's Department of Health said it would cost $140,000 to change three sentences on a one-page regulation."
There is no test, the exemption form is merely a form that a veterinarian will sign to exempt an animal from the rabies vaccine, the dogs receiving an exemption are not required to have any test. The bill has already been approved by the Appropriations Committee, so it will be funded this time around.

Other states passing medical exemptions have not had to hire a research scientist to amend the regulations (state health officials did that here in Maine without hiring additional staff). It appears that the Health Department has used this bill to fund another staff scientist.

If you have any questions about whether or not dogs will have to be tested, you should contact the bill sponsor's office: Assemblymember Curt Hagman (Capitol Director - Victoria Stewart is fully informed about this bill) 916-319-2060 [email protected] .

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.