Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my iguana a few weeks ago and they couldnt tell me how old "it" was so could someone help me?

"it" is 22 inches from head to tail and 6 from head to where his tail starts

its fine if no one can help me tell if hes a boy or girl but id like to at least figure out his age

here are some pictures

a few days ago V

when i 1st got him V

also this is my 1st time posting a thread on this site :D

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Aww, it's pretty cute!
IDK about the age or sex (I could help you if you had a beardie though, LOL), but sometimes it can be hard to tell with lizards, since their growth depends a lot on how well they are cared for.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aww, it's pretty cute!
IDK about the age or sex (I could help you if you had a beardie though, LOL), but sometimes it can be hard to tell with lizards, since their growth depends a lot on how well they are cared for.

did you see how much he had grown in the picture with my hands? its amazing. lol but yeah i read online that hes around 6months-1year going on length

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Yeah it's unbelievable how fast they grow, isn't it? How long does it take for iggys to be full grown?

· Registered
5,304 Posts
They don't stop growing but they do slow down after about 2 years is about full grown it will be hard to notice growing after 2 but when you look at pictures you will notice later. for a healthy well taken care of ig, if its stunted it will grow more.

It looks older to me, i'd say a year to 2. it has a more mature looking face. If it is a year or two it will grow more with good care.

You need to change the diet, you are feeding lettuce, you need to feed a mix of turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens. And have a good UVB light. 12 on 12 off.

Good luck!

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Yeah, I thought it's face looked a little older too, but I'm no iguana expert.

And I highly recommend the brand ReptiSun (by Zoomed) for a UVB light. They have the best flouescent light in the US. You can order one for $30 shipped at www.petmountain.com

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They don't stop growing but they do slow down after about 2 years is about full grown it will be hard to notice growing after 2 but when you look at pictures you will notice later. for a healthy well taken care of ig, if its stunted it will grow more.

It looks older to me, i'd say a year to 2. it has a more mature looking face. If it is a year or two it will grow more with good care.

You need to change the diet, you are feeding lettuce, you need to feed a mix of turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens. And have a good UVB light. 12 on 12 off.

Good luck!
yeah im doing the lights like that but i cant find those foods anywhere other then in this weird dried/freeze dried food that i have to add water to.. its like 20 dollars for a big jar of it. do you know what im taking about?

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
The dried food shouldn't be used as a staple food, because freeze dried doesn't have as much nutrients as fresh. I've used it for my beardie before, but I would just put it on top of their fresh salads kinda as a treat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.