Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a trail mix in it and it has dried fruits and nuts in it and My hamsters love it. I think I am going to make my own next time and wondered if hamsters can have raisins because I know dogs cant have grapes or raisins

·
Registered
525 Posts
My RWWs have a small portion of a raisin from time to time...they prefer the nuts from the mixture, though..:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a book on hammies and it suggest them as a 'healthy treat'. However, the hamster faq on critterscoop says otherwise, so I don't give them just to be sure.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have checked my Essentials for Hamsters book and it lists Grapes as treats, so raisins should be OK, in small quantities... I guess..

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only thing I've read against raisins for hamsters is that they're sticky and could get stuck in a cheek pouch. That said, I've given my dwarf a raisin a few times and she seems to enjoy it. I've also never noticed her pouch a raisin.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of it getting stuck in their pouches too.. The main concern, as with any fruit is the sugar content in it. You don't have to worry about it as much with syrian (larger) hamsters, but the dwarfs are prone to diabetics, especially the campbell's dwarfs. I'd give them in extreme moderation. I feed them occassionally to my rats.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
In moderation,raisins are a good treat.I give em to my rats and mouse sometimes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts