Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Friend to All Animals
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had 6hermit crabs (now only 5)
they have a 20gal tank which is plenty of room, they receive regular lighting
they always have PLENTY of food, a mix of Hermit Crab Variety Bites and crushed Hermit Crab Cakes, along with occasional treats such as almonds, grapes, cooked hamburger, chicken, turkey, sugarless cereals, bread, peanut butter, unsalted chips (rare), calcium sand, oranges, and other such random scraps; but those are the regulars
they always have plenty of food
they always have plenty of water with a giant sponge in the bowl so they don't drown
there are 3different hides for them to use and climb on
humidity and temperature is kept at accurate points
substrate is clean sand
15different sized empty shells to pick from
weekly baths
salt water is offered on occasion for the hermits to drink

so i have all this (as far as IK, this is all okay, right!?-let me know if there is sumthing i'm not doing right, tell me so i can fix it!)
IDK the genders between my crabs so don't ask!
so the 2 that concern me is Chrissa (who happens to be the smallest hermit) and Angel (who was the friendliest and 3rd smallest)
Angel came out of her shell to molt and apparently i didn't catch it right away-she molted out of her shell and she had apparently gotten rid her skin, too
but Chrissa got a hold of her naked body and was dragging her along with her large pincher and ate Angel's small and large claw-she was soft so IG it was easy
of course Angel died :( and i was so very sad cuz she was my favorite cuz she never pinched :(
i'm very mad at Chrissa becuz she has actually done this before in another case where a crab actually molted under the sand and she dug down and ate him, too
so i'm worried, none of the other crabs have cannibalized before and Chrissa is the only 1 that does it! IK she gets plenty of food and water cuz i see her in there all the time
should i try to separate her from the others or sumthing? i'm sick of my poor dudes getting eaten by her!
i also heard that when hermits molt, they smell like raw or dead flesh and that usually turns the other crabs on and makes them want to run and eat it, is that what happened? PLEASE HELP! :(

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
A hermit crab's shed exoskeleton has a lot of nutrient and calcium in it, so it's pretty much a delicacy to the little guys. If they smell one that is molting, they all want to find the exoskeleton and eat it.

How deep is your substrate? Can they completely bury themselves without being detected? Is is wet enough so that they can tunnel?

You can always make a separate molting tank for them. Or what I used to do was cut the bottom off of a 2 liter pop bottle, and dig it down to the bottom of the sand around a molting hermit, so that it would be protected from the others.

·
Friend to All Animals
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the substrate is almost 2in. deep and all of my crabs can completely burry themselves under it

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
weekly baths
salt water is offered on occasion for the hermits to drink
Baths are not necessary - crabs should have constant access to both fresh and salt water that they can completely submerge in.

the substrate is almost 2in. deep and all of my crabs can completely burry themselves under it
Your substrate isn't deep enough - should be at least 6 inches deep - then your molters could safely burrow and hide, coming up when they are stronger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts