Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rat formerly known as Cheeko, lived on pine, with a waterbottle, in a 5 gallon tank. The pics looked sooo sad, and we assumed the tank was a 10 gallon, because of the size of him inside of it. He's 10 months old and she was selling him and all his "get up" for $45.00. Note the lovely pink ball that was his Out time. :-X

I offered to take him if she waived the fee initially. No response. Two days after the ad went up, the price went down to $35 and sat there for 2 weeks. On a whim, I emailed again, asking if she had rehomed him. She said no. I offered her $10 as a rehoming fee only (not my usual but he was tugging on the heart strings), and she tried to get me to take it all for$25 since she didn't want it hangiing around. I told her to put it out with the junk. The boy was picked up last night by my local friend (a different city). She said there was no food, the water bottle was filthy, and he was terrified! She stopped off at a store to get him something to eat but was only able to find melba toast which he ravenously devoured :(

She has him in a small temp cage (purple base SP cage) and he looks like a baby in there!! How can this fellow be 10 months old? He's got mites, his coat is rough and discoloured, but those eyes...soooo bright! He unfortunately cannot figure out ramps...he climbs them then panics and falls off of them on his way down. My foster asked if she should remove the ramp and I said No, I would prefer he learn and fall only a short distance then in the Rat Resort he has waiting for him. I cannot wait to meet my little No Name. :)

My poor scrawny boy!

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Thank you for saving him!
It is soo sad how some people can care so little about an animal's health and happiness.
Could you imagne his life if he stayed with her. Why did she even think to get a rat in the first place.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You rock for saving him! He's going to be difficult, but just like dogs I do believe an old rat can learn new tricks with patience and love! My girl Maeby has taken a lot of patience and love ever since I saved her...that's for sure!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
He's gonna be so happy to have a momma like you ! :heart:

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is just sick. Kudos to you for taking him in Spaz. I can not stand people like that, seriously have a heart, imagine how they will treat their future children.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Aww, stories like this make me so upset, but it's always a happy ending when they come home to someone like you. :heart: You're such a hero to these little guys. Please keep us updated on his progress once he makes it to his home with you. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Oh man, I almost didn't scroll down to see the picture of Cheeko in his old "housing" because I get so upset by things like this, but when I did look, and then got to see him in his new temporary housing with your friend, I was SO relieved and grateful that you are rescuing Cheeko from a life that just saddens me so much.

Lilspaz, THANK YOU for being such an angel to rats like Cheeko and giving this special boy a new life. He is absolutely precious and such a sweet and beautiful face. I wish I could hold him and kiss him.

I agree with the rest of the posts...WHY do people like this end up with an animal in the first place? I would love to have 10 minutes alone in a room with that woman for a nice little "interrogation session" about how she treated Cheeko. But then, I would probably be arrested for assault and battery on her once I lost my temper, eh? :rolleyes:

Thank the animal gods he is out of there and he won the ratty jackpot getting rescued by you. Please keep us posted on Cheeko. He truly is beautiful in so many ways. :approve:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone, he comes home tomorrow night and I am really excited to meet him.

We have also changed his name to Thomas (Tommy for less formal times LOL).

I so want to kiss that sweet little head and get a real weight on him (if my ailing scale will cooperate). LOL

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Thank you everyone, he comes home tomorrow night and I am really excited to meet him.

We have also changed his name to Thomas (Tommy for less formal times LOL).

I so want to kiss that sweet little head and get a real weight on him (if my ailing scale will cooperate). LOL
aww thats such a cute name for him :) your such a caring and loving care giver and definetly a mircal to these little ones.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Great name for him! Thomas, aka Tommy for casual days. :D
I am so excited for you and also for Thomas. I am sure we will all be eager for new pictures of your sweet boy once he has settled in with you. I am VERY happy for Thomas! :thumbsup:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
He was nervous but I put aside all my worries of the day and lifted him from his cage carefully. I did the hand slip under the body and slide him out the door...no real grasping involved...he tensed up but then I put him on my lap and started stroking him...wow...pancake rat!

Are you stopping?

He gets very still when you are stroking him...he freezes then melts. He also liked me picking off his old mite scabs...I guess like another rat grooming him?

Then he was off...exploring and checking things out, all Mr. Confident LOL

I had the older boys out from Midland, as they are very laid back and very accepting of other rats. Thomas especially loved Garson. Garson was grooming and licking him, it was soo wonderful to see, and Thomas was soaking it all up. :D

and he met Alfie who is a bit more forceful but very similar in attitude. :)
C'mere kid!

I think I am going to like it here. :confetti:

Thomas is perpetually happy. He's always on his shelves watching me while in his cage. I think he wants to be sure I don't disappear on him. I have him on the computer desk when I am here also. :) I reach in to pick him up, and as long as I just slide my hands under his belly he stays very still :) I think the original owner was beyond an idiot, and this little man is only 3-4 months old, not a tiny adult...which is GREAT :D

My little buddy :heart:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
:heart: He is SOOOO precious!!!!!!!!!! I am beyond happy that he has taken so well to his new environment. He will have such a fabulous life with you and his new furry friends!!! Yay, Thomas!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Great that he gets to enjoy the rest of his life being treated the way a beloved rat should be treated. :)
He looks like he will quickly steal your heart. lol

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hooray!!!! What a great post to see!! I am SO happy for Thomas!!
I just about cried seeing how happy he looks, Lilspaz...loved the pictures so much. I just can't say it in words how it made me feel, seeing him with his new wonderful Mommy, getting love and attention and making new friends. Wow, so incredible, and I know Thomas is thinking, "I love my new Mommy so much that I don't want to let her out of my sight, in case she disappears." I was so touched by this. Thank you, thank you for posting the pictures and letting us all get to see Thomas's new family life and happy home. I am SO happy for him, really. Hooray for Thomas! Send him all my love and kisses too. :confetti:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts