Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an adorable rough collie puppy who is 13 weeks old and doesn't travel well in the car. She is sick every time-usually on the way back from the park. Will she grow out of it and is there anything we can give her to help, We heard ginger biscuits may help but are they ok for puppies? :confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts
One of my dogs would often throw up in the car after a long enough ride. He adjusted after a few weeks of regular trips. For him, we protected the car seat and he eventually grew out of it.

Ginger never works for me so I think it's a hit or miss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Zycla, I am hoping she grows out of it, I just hope it doesn't take too long as its quite upsetting to see her suffer even though she enjoys her time at the park. I may give the ginger a try and I will let you know the results.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Some holistic pet stores carry an all natural motion sickness medication. I use to use it for one of my dogs when we would go on long trips. It's pretty safe for dogs but like everything else it should be given only when necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply Mousey, I will take alook in the pet store and see whats available. Like you I dont want to be giving the little one any chemicals I think natural is far better.We avoided using the car today and went for a walk along the track near to where we live and she was fine! I will keep you posted with developments.
Cheers!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful people

Well firstly thankyou Purple-Hops for your reply. I would just like to say I am amazed by the kindness you have all shown in concern for my little puppy. :grouphug:It's nice to know there are like minded people in this world who love animals. A big THANKYOU to everyone and I will keep you all informed as to her progress. By the way her name is LUCY.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Im glad we could offer suggestions for Lucy. Hoefully she out grows it. If you can not find it in a pet store you may look online.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success!!!

:paw::grommit:Hi there everyone! :wave:Well we just got back from the park - YES in the car! and Lucy was NOT sick! Hooray!!! I heard it was a good idea to let the puppy see where its going when travelling so I held her on my knee facing forwards with her paws on the dash. She drooled a bit but I think she was anxious about being in the car. Apparently puppies ears are sensitive because they are not fully developed inside and this causes motion sickness which they can grow out of. Lets hope this is the start of better travelling for her. I feel so happy for her I just had to tell you all about it. :D

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
YES IT IS!!!! My Harley dog upchucked in my lap once while in a car. Very gross.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carrying your dog in your lap is very dangerous. If you're in an accident, the force of the air bag can kill your dog. And if that doesn't, getting ejected can too. It's best to always keep your dog buckled up in the car.

If seeing out the window helps your puppy's car sickness, look for a dog booster seat for the car. It is a little seat that keeps them secure in the car but high enough up that even small dogs can see out. Just google "dog booster seat" and you'll see pictures of them.

For the car sickness, how soon are you going in the car after feeding? If there's a small gap between feeding time and car rides, try feeding 3-4 hours before you go in the car. That will help too.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts