Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
I use CareFresh and my gerbils seem to love it, I think my mom bought Ultra this time, and it seems way better! :giggle:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
mine just get covered in dust all the time and it seems like they sneeze alot more, maybe your dont chew it up as much as mine do because my friend uses carefresh for her guinea pig and she does alright with it

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
mine just get covered in dust all the time and it seems like they sneeze alot more, maybe your dont chew it up as much as mine do because my friend uses carefresh for her guinea pig and she does alright with it
Do you give your Gerbies some extra stuff, such as Toilet Paper, Cardboard rolls, peices A cereal box? If not, try it. They chew it up and use that as their litter too. That may prevent some of the dust! :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you give your Gerbies some extra stuff, such as Toilet Paper, Cardboard rolls, peices A cereal box? If not, try it. They chew it up and use that as their litter too. That may prevent some of the dust! :D
Agreed with that ^_^.

Anyway;; :p

I love carefresh, although I've never tried ultra, I'll try and remember that next :p.

It really helps the odor, but yes, it does have dust. But other than that, all my pets love it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use the CareFresh Ultra. My hams all seem to like it, although it is dusty when I dump it out, but it seems to settle once it's in the cage. I tried aspen, but one hammie was allergic to it and it just didn't seem very soft for them. To each his own I guess!!! As long as what you're using is safe and your pets are happy with it, use what you like!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use CareFresh Ultra for my ratties and they love it. They love burying themselves in it. The Ultra isn't really as dusty. It comes out dusty but then it settles and I never really see any of the bedding on them except when they just come out from underneath a huge pile of it XD

But I had to do trial and error with bedding, especially with the hairless rat....I think it's mostly to each their own with that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my opinion, its not terrible, but it could use a lot of help. I don't think its worth the price. I use ultra and used to not to because my hamster, well he has an inflamed behind weirdly so I have to use soft bedding. Before I had used aspen and he kept on nipping at his rear because it was irritating him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we use it for my daughter gerbils and at first had a hard time getting use to the scent but eventually grew accustomed to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just adopted a bun this last weekend. I didn't have any litter and the guy was out when he gave me the bunny. so i just used shredded newspaper / phonebook paper and hay. he seemed to like it pretty well but the newspaper soaked easily so i figured i'd try a litter. I bough CareFresh the other day at Petco because they didnt have any Yesterday's News (i wanted to try orginally). And for 2 days my buns didn't seem to poop or pee! he's been leaving a small amount of droppings around the carpet and in his box (he's a free-roam apartment bunny). I thought maybe something was wrong, then I realized it might be the litter?? i just dumped out the litter today, and put shredded newspaper in there, and wa-la! He's sitting in the box as we speak, eatin his hay n poopin away! :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I personally like Carefresh bedding, but everything works differently for different people. If you get a chance to try Yesterday's News, I would definitely do it. We used to use it for our chinchillas years ago and I once used it in the cat litter box... THAT didn't go as well as the chinchilla litter boxes LOL.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
I HATE Carefresh!!! It is extremely over priced and really the only one that seemed to work was the Ultra. If you can, get your hands on some Cell-sorb. Its like Carefresh but actually works and seems a lot softer. None of my animals liked Carefresh...my chin would throw it out of his cage and my rats would just move it over and pee on the base. They liked Cell-sorb!

YN is ok but didn't really keep down the smell. Since they are litter trained, just get the cat one. Same thing but cheaper and comes in a bigger bag. Sweat Scoop was awesome and clumps without chemicals. Of course it doesn't clump as well as clay but makes scooping and finding wet spots a bit easier. It is edible (just wheat) but I had to stop using it because the buns thought it was yummy. Eco bedding = great but again...the cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Carefresh, I find it too expensive, but it's generally good. I mean, my other option here is woodshavings, and it's smelly and dusty. By far the worst for me was Vitakraft's Country Home...weird chemical smell and dusty too!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts