Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of this? Carefresh Pet Bedding
I like it because it can be used for several different kinds of animals!

I use it for my ferrets & am much happier with it than with other beddings/litters I have used in the past.

Overall- it does an excelent job of absorbing odors & keeping the dust down. Although it is not 100% dust free is is less dusty than other products. I have found it also doesn't dry out the ferrets skin as bad either!

So what do you think? What animals do you or have you used this product for??

· Registered
8,901 Posts
I tried it with my chins and would never buy it again. I HATE the way it smells when wet and I don't feel it did any better for me than Aspen does, which is much less expensive.

· Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumbsup: Thanks gals for your input - it is all important! :D

I can't use aspen or pine with the ferrets cause of the scents involved. I could tell you something worse *cough* corn cob bedding *cough* but it may start a debate lol.

I'll start a new thread for that one though. ;)

· Registered
2,079 Posts
I use it for my hamster because you can't get aspen in the stores around here, only the really nasty cedar and pine stuff. It's not bad, but I'd probably rather she had wood shavings. Having never been exposed to aspen, I can't really compare.

· Herp Nerd
1,116 Posts
I tried to use Carefresh with my snakes at one point. It just became a soppy mess every time they went to the bathroom, and mildewed stunningly quickly if there was even a hint of moisture around. I switched back to aspen, I find it much easier to deal with for my (and my animal's) needs. For my rodents, I use kiln dried pine or aspen as well.

Rav

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Because of my allergies to wood shavings of any type, I use Carefresh. I would never use anything different. I go a week without changing any of my cages (unless a waterbottle leaks or something) and I think it's great. My babies sneeze for a few hours after I change the cages but then they're fine. When I used Aspen, Gordy, who is my guinea pig (and my only critter at the time... the one who started it all...) would sneeze all the time. Her eyes would water constantly, not to mention my eyes and nose... I love Carefresh. I wish they sold it in 100 Liter bags. That's about what it takes to clean all of my cages each week. It's expensive, but worth it.

· Registered
1 Posts
Nikki6496 said:
I was using carefresh for my hamsters but they were always sneezing so I switched to the aspen and it cleared it up right away.
hmmm... quite the contrary with me: I have used wooden shavings for my hamster (the very first one in a grown family), and she was sneezing. after switching to Carefresh, sneezing has stopped. since Kuzia has got used to that type of bedding, I buy huge bags of Carefresh every time and use it for all my hamsters (I have 4 right now: 3 syrians and 1 dwarf, but Kuzia - the one that was sneezing - is a possible mom-to-be... hope-hope :) )

· Registered
25 Posts
I tried Carefresh litter (the grey one) once ... and I'll never use it again. It was awful. It stuck to the pan like paper-mache and it was the only time my PD's cage ever smelled. And it was a lot heavier than my aspen chips, which by the way have 99.99% no dust. My baby only sneezes when he adventures under my bed, lol ;)

Aspen chips and Carefresh are the only things I've really tried for litter and I must say I much prefer the aspen :yes: Though one time we had an experiment with using his Kay-Tee timothy hay as litter ... but only because he refused to eat the stuff ... but that's another thread entirely :lol:

· Registered
1,990 Posts
i HATE the grey carefresh. i havent tried the white, i think poop would show REALLY bad on such bright white bedding.
the grey STANK, and was wayyy to dusty for the households sensitive nose's. it didnt control the odor in my cages nearly as much as my aspen does. carefresh is tooooo exspensive and if it gets wet it meldews quickly. so basically... i hate it and will never use it again.

· Registered
52 Posts
ultra carefresh

ultra carefresh (is white) I think is the best. I don't lile the regular that's green I think it has a smell to it. It absorbs the urine smell so that I can't even notice that I have a hamster. It costs a little more but I never use anything else.

· Registered
105 Posts
I find that Carefresh is good, but it is TOO expensive. I tried making a home version...that didn't work out very well. But I found that it smells the same come changing time compared to wood shavings. I stick with wood shavings now for my degus.

· Registered
5,668 Posts
I switched Harry over to Carefresh and it has been great for him. I used it a few years ago and it was horrible, but now it works great. Harry's rear end has become cleaner since I switched him over to it. Charlie on the other hand does better with aspen, so that's what she's staying on.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.