Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Also it is true, on the white carefresh, it looks dirty in a day from the poop. It does look gross, and like the cage hasn't been cleaned in weeks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I tried carefresh on my mice, ew XP
The smell was AWFUL and since they're in my room it's twice as bad XD I stuk 'em with wood shavings now, much better =) But I still use arefresh for the rats, they don't smell, well, right now it smells like hard boiled egg, 'cause I just smashed one for them, lol.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Fubie said:
I tried carefresh on my mice, ew XP
The smell was AWFUL and since they're in my room it's twice as bad XD I stuk 'em with wood shavings now, much better =) But I still use arefresh for the rats, they don't smell, well, right now it smells like hard boiled egg, 'cause I just smashed one for them, lol.
Out of curiosity, what kind of wood shavings do you use? You do know that pine or cedar is toxic, right?I use aspen and find it the best so far!There is a hemp kind of small animal bedding I heard was safe and wanna try it!Has anyone here tried that??

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was talking to my friend about the dangers of pine bedding and she said she used pine, or cedar, I don't remember and she had her mice for 5 years =x Not saying that doesn't make it dangerous tho ^^
I doubt the bedding is pine, it doesn't smell piney. But I had to do something about the smell, it made me gag when ever I walked into the room, regular zoo smell I can handle. Mildow moldy urine smell gets you right in the nose and then down your throat >.o
The shavings are exactly the same thing the petstore used, they have a big trash can and they fill a bag for you o_o So it's a mystery bedding..

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Nah...pine is not good at all...it is toxic.I know people who use it too, but that doesn't make it right...they really are poisoning their animals.

I know the mouse smell!I have 11 right now and they are kept in an animal room and it always stinks of mouse smell, even when the cages are cleaned!I am used to it, since I have raised mice for years...but it does still stink...especially the boys!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Let me add this about Kaytee Soft Sorbent bedding. It is not that good for small animals that love to burrow, such as mice and dwarfs: the bedding will not hold together and collapses. But it is great for guinea pigs!

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
sorry I hate carefresh and the like. It doesn't absorb odor and is expensive. I have too many cages to use carefresh.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Zouave said:
So what do you use?

It is less expensive that Kaytee Soft Sorbent.
I have been hearing good stuff about this Kaytee bedding,but cannot seem to find it anywhere...is there a website that I could order it from to try?

I use aspen.For a large bag it is $6.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ooh yeah, petco is having a sale on carefresh, buy one get one.
Should still be on, but then again, I'm no expert on petco sales. Ah, tehy have a website, you could check it off if anyone really wants to know.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
i am really glad i read this thread. we just lost a guinea pig and before that we were using cedar bedding. i just bought something called all pet pine--there is a guarantee on the back that it contains no chemicals or scents and won't harm resp. systems. it was kind of expensive but not as bad as carefresh and from what i am reading i am glad i didn't put the money into it. i wish i would have known the effects of cedar bedding earlier and i never would have used it. i didn't see aspen anywhere at pet supplies plus where do you guys find it?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I buy aspen at Wal-Mart...they sell big bags for $6...so it isn't too expensive!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Vanilla_Rat said:
I buy aspen at Wal-Mart...they sell big bags for $6...so it isn't too expensive!
all i have found at our wal-mart was cedar and pine. i will have to double check. does it look like thebags of those 2?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
The aspen I buy is shredded, so it looks like shredded wood chips.It is very light in color and soft to the touch, I think the brand I get is "Hartz"...I need to buy another bag on monday, so I could take a pic of the bag to show you what it looks like.I am not sure how the Wal-Mart is set up there, but here...the aspen is in big bags and they are usually on the bottom shelf where all the rodent supplies is kept...I will try and get a pic of what it looks like, so then you will have a better idea.If they don't sell it there, maybe they could order it in for you?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Vanilla_Rat said:
The aspen I buy is shredded, so it looks like shredded wood chips.It is very light in color and soft to the touch, I think the brand I get is "Hartz"...I need to buy another bag on monday, so I could take a pic of the bag to show you what it looks like.I am not sure how the Wal-Mart is set up there, but here...the aspen is in big bags and they are usually on the bottom shelf where all the rodent supplies is kept...I will try and get a pic of what it looks like, so then you will have a better idea.If they don't sell it there, maybe they could order it in for you?
that would be cool of ya! if walmart doesn't have it i can check a couple other stores too. or see if they can order it too. thanks:)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Here is a pic of what it looks like.Just bought a bag today.There were only 2 bags left!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like the very loose aspen, I bought a bag like that one shown and it is hard :) I like the looser one. thats what I am buying from now on, even if it is going to cost more, I am also going to check out Walmart to see what they have, I normally go to petsmart for my gerbils needs.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts