Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into everything before I bring home a kitten. I know she will have worms so I am looking for an all in one OTC dewormer safe for Kittens over 8 weeks. preferably that treats all worms. She will go to the vet at 6 months and have everything checked but she needs a wormer since we have two other cats who could get them from her.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
There are NO safe OTC dewormers. Please do not give a kitten, or a cat of any age, any anti-parasite bought OTC. They are NOT safe.

Plan on taking the kitten to the vet right away, not at 6 months. Your kitten will need to be dewormed, deflead, and tested for FeLV/FIV before you begin introductions.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well she has to go again at 6 months anyway. Also the plan is to take her when I first get her. The vet cant deflea her she'll be too young so I looked up many safe ways to deflea a kitten.

How much does it generally cost to take a kitten to be tested for FeLV and FIV and wormed? I just need to know how much to save up.

at 6 months she'll go for her spay and shots.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
the thing is if she has felv or fiv she can give it to your other cats and this is why it is suggested u take her to the vet as soon as you get her :( i hope she doesnt have it thou. for vet prices it diffrent for every vet so youd have to call around to your local vets

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed a good local vet this morning :) She is going to the vet the day I pick her up

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what the vet told me
We have a kitten package that includes an exam, the first FVRCP vaccine, Felv/Fiv test, fecal exam, and dewormer for $96.00. We sell individual applications of flea treatment to kittens and puppies for $18.00.

So I really just need to flea treat her myself

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So? I know they'll have worms and fleas they always do and I needed to know how much it would all be

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
im glad your doing your research :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :) There is no point adopting a pet from a bad home if you arent going to give it a good one

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh sorry. I do have a vet picked out though :)

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Just me but some vets will only deworm if needed (AKA if a kitten comes up positive for some parasite) so don't be alarmed if they don't just give it to you. In fact I AM alarmed when they're so quick to shove meds down a kitten's throat.

But yeah NEVER an otc dewormer. They often don't work and are DANGEROUS.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cant wait to see her and bring her home :) We are currently saving for the vet :D I've contacted a few more vets just to see what there is they are have good reps. I am leaning toward the one less than a mile from my house :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts