Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately for the past probably month or more we have been having this cat which is very fluffy(could be a persian, siamese or could be himalayan) but its been coming into our backyard probably because we are feeding birds. We have been feeding the cat too as we aren't 100 percent sure if it does have a home or not(it doesn't have a collar or tags) but it goes to different area's of our condo. It comes close to my husband when he is outside but it has never let him touch him or her and it runs away. It's pretty worrying as we have seen 5 coyotes on the golf course where we live and they have already eaten one neighbours cat. I am not sure what to do about the cat as its a gorgeous cat and i wouldn't want it to get eaten.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
since you cant handle the cat since it wont let you touch it, maybe you could take a picture of him or her and ask around the neighbourhood if it belongs to someone by showing the photo ? just an idea

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. When it comes back during the daylight i will get a picture of it and post it around. It just bugs me that someone(if it belongs to someone) that they would let it wander around in an area where there are very large coyotes and have already eaten a cat. It's just like a dog we found in someones yard which the dog didn't even belong too and it was shivering and had icles on the sides of its mouth where it was salvating and it was de-barked too.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
We have that issue here too. For a while, there were a bunch of cats in my neighborhood. A mix of strays and outside cats. Then coyotes moved in...:(. I dislike outside cats but I still hate the thought of them being eaten!

If the cat learns to trust you more you could put a collar on it with your phone number written. The idea is that the "owner" (if there is one) might call you. You could even write something like "is this your cat? please call xxx-xxxx".

Asking around seems like the best idea for now. I would say call animal control but there's a good chance they'd just put the cat to sleep :(.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This cat is our third since we have moved in here(there was a pure black and then a tortie colored cat that were around too but i haven't seen them for awhile-I saw the black cat on halloween last year but nothing since then) we always have the same 4 patrolling around our area(last year there was a coyote pup across from where we live) hopefully soon it will learn to trust atleast my husband. I wouldn't want to risk calling animal control though i may ask the humane society what can be done when i volunteer there tomorrow.

This is kind of what the cat looks like. But i'm still going to get some actual pictures of the cat.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Maybe you can provide a hide away spot for the cat until someone claims her or he/she becomes trusting enough to let you handle them? If you put the food near a box or small kennel t'll feel safeer about hiding out during the night?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we have a kennel that we could try and do something or try and find someone that lends out those live traps for cats or something. We have a second grey and white cat that has been wandering around our area yesterday and it was very cold last night so hopefully that cat is alright. I was thinking since we don't have a mesh over our window i was thinking of keeping the window open with some food on the ledge and closing the door and maybe that would work too.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Lets us know how it goes. I wish you luck

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We finally got pictures of the cat and it's gorgeous. It has no collar or tags and its pretty matted around it's neck. It hates even having to look at the dogs and gets nervous so probably after our anniversary weekend we will take it into the vet to see if it has a micro-chip. If not we will probably just keep her in our spareroom for now so atleast the cat stays warm until we can find the owner(if it has one) and tell them to keep their cat in the house.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
wow. that is a very pretty cat. I hope everything goes well for you and the kitty

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Prayers for that gorgeous kitty.

I fear s/he's been dumped, but maybe just lost, it happens and someone may be desperately looking for him/her. Check your newspaper and call your shelter and the local vet clinics to find out if there are any lost cat ads fitting this kitty's description.

And bless you for caring and being willing to help her/him.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Now that you have pictures of the cat I would post some around the neighborhood and maybe online and see if you can find the owners. Maybe the owners could have better luck catching the cat if it's skittish.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Now that you have pictures of the cat I would post some around the neighborhood and maybe online and see if you can find the owners. Maybe the owners could have better luck catching the cat if it's skittish.

Good idea.

One tip...I wouldn't post the picture, and leave some identifying tip out of the description to weed out the weirdos and creeps who will think they've found an easy cat for their sick games and laboratory experiments.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am kinda sad we haven't seen the cat in awhile and there have been more sightings of coyotes. I really hope it hasn't been eaten.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I suggest posting you found a cat and give generic description, but if it does have an owner they will be able to tell you more details. That's what I did when I found a dog, and the owners knew every trait it had.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I hope it surfaces soon or found its home and didnt get attacked by another wild animal. My thoughts will be with the kitty and you as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts