Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i get morgan to stop chewing on the cats? 2 cats are afraid of her and won't go near her, the other cat will hang around her untill she jumps on top of him, pins him and bites his neck. i think morgan thinks patrick is her litter mate.

i tried pinning morgan when she jumps on the cats. i've tried distracting her with toys and that works for a few minutes then she's back at it again.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Pinning her as in grabbing her and dominating her?? That shouldn't work the way you want :) you're teaching her that pinning is a game to perform on smaller buddies. I think the corections should be implied when she so much as looks at the cats. Not in a negative way but you need to teach her that the cats are not toys. To do this, find a correction sound that is consistant and works.. A hiss, a "spiss" (like you would to get a cat off the counter), clap your hands, snap your fingers. . Whatever it is, couple it with "No". I heard that if you say , "Morgan, no" she will hear her name and use it as a positive reinforcement ignoring the "no". So just say "no" or "lay off" or "leave it" (keep it short) and when she learns to back off say "Morgan Good Girl!!!" and make her the queen again! The second she gears her energy at the cats correct her again.

I think something like this can be enforced without physical enforcement. How old is she now?? Boxers are very high energy dogs (as you know :p) and maybe take her for a run first before training her. Remove the cats during training as they are quite obviously a distraction!

I hope this helped!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Do the "tsst" attendtion as shown by Cesar Milan, getting his focus and submission to you as his leader.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
body blocking is another good idea, say psht or whatever to get her focus and step between her and the cat. Just keep at it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
You have to teach her that if she wants to interact with the cats, she has to be calm around them.

I had a similar problem when he brought our very hyper 9 week old puppy home. I had to teach him the proper way to act around my rabbits. I didn't want to forbid him from interacting with them completely, but instead wanted to teach him that if he wants to spend time with them he has to behave properly.

It was kind of a lot of work...but I would let him spend time with the rabbits only under my supervision. If he got too hyper/rough around them, I calmly took him out of the room. I made him sit calmly in a different room until he got himself under control and then we tried again.

Basically this taught him that if he wants to stay around the rabbits, he had to remain calm around them. He learned that if he got too hyper or rough around them then that would mean he wouldn't get to be near them anymore.

This method worked really well for me. My dog is 2 years old now and is very well behaved around all of my other pets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spending time with supervision and managing their interaction is the only way you can do this. Patience is a virtue ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts