Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 8 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that we brought home last Saturday.
He is very quiet at night (I'm crating him and taking him outside to go pee every 2 hours), but during the day... he is SO agitated and sometimes when we're playing with him, he bites really hard.
I have a playpen set up in my living room, where the floor is covered with newspaper (but he does not use it to do his business, because I take him outside very often - I'm always home with him and he's only in the playpen when I can not supervise him 100% - so the newspaper is basically there in case of accidents).
Can someone tell me if he's ever gonna be less agitated? I always thought this breed was very friendly and calm - but then again, he is only a puppy, so I guess this is normal behaviour?
And also, I'm sticking to the rule of not taking him out of the playpen when he's whining and crying, but that breaks my heart... does anyone know how long it takes a puppy to learn not to cry in the playpen? :(
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
puppies bite its there way of playing so yes there is definetly a chance of them growing out of it remember to show him that it is wrong to bite be firm.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
just yelp and ignore him every time he bites. thats what other puppies do and it tells them that they are playing too rough. I also saw that you can lightly butter your hands and it teaches the dog to lick not bite.

·
Registered
374 Posts
A dog is going to take as long as he is going to take.... ;) There are a couple of threads in the forum that have great tips on crate training and will help you and your little man to speed up the process. Be sure to check them out.

Basically, you want to make the crate the best place in the world to be. Leave it open most of the day for the pup to go in an out by choice. Lure him with super tasty treats and feed occasionaly inside the crate. Don't ever force him into a space he is scared of. Reward him for when he goes in. If he is crying, you also don't have to wait for a long quiet spell to release him. First wait for a 3 to 5 second span then add time gradually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, guys! I always knew having a puppy would require a lot of patience, but I have to confess it requires a little bit more than I expected. The good thing is that it's totally worth it :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Puppies aren't so different from other babies, they're a ton of work. I don't foster puppies anymore because it's so exhausting. As you're finding, though, it can also be rewarding :).

I second yelping and then ignoring him when he bites. It's a common puppy phase and they generally grow out of it on their own.

As for the crying, don't be discouraged if he suddenly gets much worse. Behaviors can get worse before they get better! It's good that you haven't given in :). How long he'll take to stop is going to depend on his individual personality, it really depends on the dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am so tired from waking up at every 2 1/2 hours during the night :tired:
But I'll keep on being consistent...
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's never an easy thing with puppies. We fostered two young puppies who would never go at the same time so i would have to get up every two hours let one out and we would take the second one out but it never went the bathroom so we would have to wake up another two hours to let the one who didn't go out the first time. It's alot of work but if you put alot of work into training into a puppy and letting it know where to use the bathroom it will grow up to be a good dog for you in the end. I also second the yelping loudly when it bites on you just so that it will know not to do it again but you have to do is consisitantly so it will get the idea sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Aw I know how frustrating puppies can be. When we first got our puppy I'll admit that I wasn't prepared for exactly how much work he was going to be - he was the first puppy we ever raised. I swear I didn't get a good nights sleep for over 2 weeks after we got him. There where times he really really frustrated me.

But I swear all the hard work is worth it! Our dog is 2 years old now and he's just amazing. I don't know what I'd ever do without him.

·
Headlock
680 Posts
My puppy is 9 weeks old and I don't have to take her out every two hours but she does have a biting hand problem. Hopefully it will do away. And my mom has a cavalier and it's full of energy like it's never gets tired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, yeah, he is nine weeks old now and he's found out that he can pee on the newspaper so he doesnt wait for me to take him outside during the day anymore, he pees all over his play pen. =/
And when I feed him in the morning, at 7am, I wanna go back to bed for a while and leave him in his playpen, but he cries and whines so loud and for a looooooong time, so I can never really rest (since I wake up many times during the night to take him outside and that makes me very tired)... I am so sleepy all the time because of it...
And is it common for a puppy to be really rough when playing? Sometimes - especially when he wakes up in the morning - he scares me a bit when we're playing with his toys. He gets so hyper and sort of growls at me. O boy... maybe I wasn't prepared after all to have a puppy, but now I don't wanna give him up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It all sounds very normal. He just came from a large group and had to be pushy to get what he needed. He will calm down. It's just going to take a couple of weeks to adjust. If he gets to wild you should stop the play, pick up the toys and walk away. Your silence and actions will be heard loud and clear. If you can, take him out for a brisk walk to get some of that energy displaced.

Noah, was a whiner when he was that young. For the short time he was able to fit inside a large cat carrier we set him up so that he was in the hall looking into our bedroom. As long as he could see us he was fine. He was then slowly moved down the hall into the kitchen.

You can start working on bladder control by giving him a smaller place to sleep. Dogs will want to keep themselves clean. Dogs will also not pee or poo in places that they eat. A good friend of mine was having trouble with a little Jack Russel pissing on the stairs. She started sprinkling food on them which indirectly fixed that problem.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Yup, that's all normal! My first two puppies weren't too mouthy but the third was like what you're describing. It worried me at first, too, but she calmed down eventually.

Just keep ignoring the whining, you haven't had him very long and he WILL calm down :).

Are you using a crate? Crate-training really helps with housebreaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everyone. It really makes me feel better when I realize that this is all normal puppy behaviour and that he will grow out of it :)
Today, for the first time, I went to bed again after feeding him and taking him outside at 7am (I left him in his play pen). He cried a lot for what seemed 1 hour and then settled down. Hopefully he will soon be ok with being left alone for a couple of hours, because I really do need to sleep a bit more.
I will make my first attempt with bathing him today. Gotta confess I'm afraid he will not like it and will try to bite me. Yesterday I brushed him for the first time and he totally hated it :( I'll insist on it a little bit everyday and hopefully one day he'll love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One more thing: He loves eating newspaper! Is it normal? I dont know what to do about it. Isn't it unhealthy because of the ink and etc?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When he uses his mouth on you, stick your finger in to the tonsils and gag him. The problem will be solved quickly. I was taught this by a Lab breeder years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts