Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow I make them sound like a feature attraction...hahaha.

I got an email from Chelle of CCH regarding these older boys. The rescue was unable to take them in at this time, but their plight was weighing on her mind, so she asked me if I could help either find them a home or take them in. The 4 boys are 20 months old, have never lived apart and get along well from what I hear. Their owner Amanda is on a fixed income with an elderly dog that now needs special food. She cannot afford her boys anymore, and was barely affording them before.

Oscar and Tommy are both beige berks with only a belly marking to tell them apart. Both healthy and Oscar is supposedly Alpha.

Loki is the black hooded boy who "snores" when he sleeps.

Cecil is the one who needs the most help, beyond the "snoring", hair loss on his back, etc, he has lost a ton of weight and condition due to a massive tumour hanging off his chest (from what Amanda was able to tell me). Its so big that there's not a lot of options for Cecil. This monster grew in a few months giving me hope that it is a loosely attached mammary tumour. I think it needs to be removed or his life really cannot go on too much longer.

Its arranged that Jenny will pick them up on Tuesday and deliver them on Friday. Once Jenny picks them up, we'll have a better idea (and hopefully more pics) of all of them but especially of sweet Cecil.

I do have one other small issue. I already have a Loki, and a Tommy....although my Tommy is Thomas, and Loki doesn't respond to her name anyways so I could call her Loca after one of my original rats? These boys have to keep their names. Sound reasonable?

Ahh well meet the boys from Amanda's pics. The shelves of the RR were removed because she was worried that Cecil would fall off of them. Supposedly the other boys are very kind to Cecil which is always good to hear and Oscar the alpha who loves to steal the other boys food, never does it with Cecil.

Loki, Cecil, and the other 2 beige boys, Tommy and Oscar.

I asked her to take a pic of Cecil's belly...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
They are beautiful Lilspaz! :dream:

I am so glad the other boys are kind to Cecil too..he looks like such a sweetie. I think Loca sounds great for a girl name, very pretty. Can't wait to see new photos after they get all settled in. They are so lucky you found them. :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vladina :)

I did discover a few more things. I was told they were born in April 2010, but going back (the owner posted on here a long time ago) there was a post on March 6th, saying they were 2 months old! So these boys are 23 months old, not 20 months,making them Capricorns like I am.

Pic of Loki as a baby

Also, Oscar is the black hoodie (I thought this was Loki).

Only 1 more sleep til Jenny gets them, and 4 more sleeps for me. :giggle::

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Aww, what a beautiful baby picture of Loki! She was all feet! I think baby ratties are extra cute when they need to "grow into" their feet and ears. Such a doll! I bet you are excited to welcome your new kids! :wave:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww, what a beautiful baby picture of Loki! She was all feet! I think baby ratties are extra cute when they need to "grow into" their feet and ears. Such a doll! I bet you are excited to welcome your new kids! :wave:
Hahaha that particular Loki is a boy. :D

I am a bit more worried for Cecil's chances now though, his age will work against him, immune system doesn't work as well, so a slight URI could be a real problem, plus how he reacts to the anesthesia, healing time is usually lengthened, and this is all if he makes it through the actual surgery.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I hope he pulls through okay? Go Cecil, go! I will be crossing my fingers for him. :)

Ha ha, I got the wrong Loki, it was Loki the boy! Doh! Okay, Loki the boy baby has the cutest baby picture! :giggle:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still not totally sure what's going on. The respy noises seem to be more nasally. They all have rough old man coats, some with thinning fur. Cecil is very sweet, but very skinny. Jenny says you can feel every vertebrae and he needs a lot of reassurance from her or from the biggest boy Oscar who cuddles up and protects his brother.

I am told the tumour is very loose, and just hangs down on Cecil, so I am still waiting for different pics. Poor Jenny has had a bad headache all day so took some quick pics and went to bed. Thank you Jenny!!!!

One of the 2 beige boys either Tommy or Loki

Oscar the biggest boy

The other beige boy

Cecil in Jenny's lap. She just took some normal pics of him so he didn't stress out. Tomorrow either the boys will be coming here or she will take better pics of him.

The Family

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Poor Cecil...I have never seen a tumor that big. :(
I hope, hope, hope he can get through this..such a sweetie. All the kids are just beautiful. It was great to see photos of them. Keep us posted on how things go?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The boys are doing much better tonight, more curious, brighter and figuring things out a little. Big boy Oscar is very protective of his compromised little brother, and wouldn't leave his side. Jenny says that Cecil's eyes are bright and he seems very happy :mrgreen:

They got weighed tonight along with their pics :p

Tommy - smallest beige boy, thinnest and worst condition of the 3 other boys, he also has the worst URI and weighs 372 grams

Loki - bigger beige boy, has very poor fur condition with thinning coat and weighs 442 grams.

Oscar - biggest boy at 504 grams, in best shape overall.

and Cecil, NOW you can see how terribly skinny he is and his poor condition. He weighs 368 grams WITH a massive tumour. :( Good news on the tumor, seems to be connected by mostly skin and very little connective tissue :) But it does look like he has another ratty friend with him at all times :(

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Oscar, a true big brother to Cecil...that is so nice to hear he looks out for him. :dream:

Can you refresh me on the tumor Lilspaz? Is it possible to remove it? Or no? Is it uncomfortable for Cecil to drag that extra weight around? I totally forgot what you may have originally said about the tumor and whether or not it can be removed, sorry!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oscar, a true big brother to Cecil...that is so nice to hear he looks out for him. :dream:

Can you refresh me on the tumor Lilspaz? Is it possible to remove it? Or no? Is it uncomfortable for Cecil to drag that extra weight around? I totally forgot what you may have originally said about the tumor and whether or not it can be removed, sorry!
I have him booked for removal on Thurs. Dec 15th, but he's soo small and skinny and in bad shape. Once that monster is removed he's only going to be like 200 grams. :( My heart is saying "should we? We could lose this sweet boy!" but my mind knows that we have to take this chance...he cannot go on much longer this way...a couple of weeks to a month of the same or worse. :(
If he survives the surgery and we get 2 more months for him, I will be thrilled, if he passes on the table, it will be peaceful and painless. Now I just cannot wait to get him on Friday and start spoiling him just in case.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thanks for the update, I understand. Spoiling Cecil sounds wonderful and I can see why you can't wait for the arrival day. :)

I truly hope he pulls through the surgery...I will be crossing my fingers. How wonderful it would be for him to have that tumor gone eh? He would be probably think he was floating on a cloud without that extra weight. I will be thinking of him. :hug:

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
The poor baby :( Thats horrible :( I am glad the other boy is being a good big brother

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are here, I love them. Tommy was especially sweet. Cecil is a lovely lovely little boy, but his URI is worse than I thought, and his body condition. The tumour is smaller than I thought and has a very small connection/thickened tissue to the body, its cool meaning no massive blood supply. I am not sure Cecil will be able to have the tumour removed health-wise on next Thursday but I will take him in for Dr Munn to examine anyways.

Tired now and still needing to bring the supplies up from the car so here...pics...

Tommy :D

We caught him bruxxing :D

Loki

Oscar

/dec9Oscar3.jpg[/img]

and the man of the hour, Cecil.

Cecil with his beloved Oscar

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What cutie pies! Love the photos so much and thanks for posting those, even though you were tired. That was so cool. Your boys are just beautiful!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cecil's surgery was postponed from this Thursday to Wed. Dec 28th...he is just too sick to survive it right now.

Today I noticed that he was more "rat-like" in his responses, more alert, more curious, less apathetic. :joy:

Family of very happy boys...he was stretching to check me out as well...he WAS more behind them :D

Loki and Cecil, the 2 really sick boys :heart:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What a beautiful group shot of the boys! They look so snuggly and happy! I have high hopes for Cecil with his surgery. Sending all our best. :)

Vlad and Marc

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I can't believe I've missed this until now. What beautiful boys, and poor Cecil with that tumor in such an awkward spot. I hope they all are healing from their URIs, and I'll be keeping Cecil in my thoughts. I worry about my Stan, with his throat tumor, because it just keeps getting bigger, but with his size and age (29 months next week), I just don't want to risk the surgery. So, we're just keeping him happy, and he is still eating, drinking and breathing just fine. Cecil's tumor looks like it would be easier to remove than Stan's would be, which is a great thing for him. I hope he feels better soon. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts