Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all if you haven't already read my intro post I will be getting some Degus round about September/October time. I have been visiting forums, got a couple of book etc. I have a question however.
In my experience with my Gerbils, they declanned at about 12 months after having them, so I have 4 Gerbils in 3 enclosure.
I was wondering what are the chances that Degus will do the sme or is it pot luck? I was planning on getting 4 but after reading that they can sometimes suffer from the same communal hierarchy isues that alot of rodents do I am now thinking of only getting 2, does the chance of declanning happen more if the community is bigger? Or is it possible that even 2 Degus could declan?

Also, they will be house in a cage that is 24" x 18" x 35", access to various levels will be via Sleep n Ledges, and also grapevine from my local reptile store. I can't seem to find a safe/unsafe wood list for grapevine, so does any one know if it would be ok to use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
In my experience, pairs are more likely to "break up" as opposed to a large group...but I've never looked into it enough to back that statement up. Part of it is luck, I guess, but what's more important is getting well-bred degus to begin with. If you're nervous about fights, females may be the way to go since males are more likely to have issues.

I'm not sure about the grapevine but I've used willow, pine, manzanita, cholla, apple branches, and yucca (remember that the live plant itself is toxic, though) without problems. I used grapevine branches in a pygmy mouse enclosure, though...no issues there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts