Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i got a baby degu last week to keep my 8 month old male company. now he was reaaally happy, tame and friendly towards me before we got the baby but since we introduced them together (they are now best of friends,. were straight away infact after their gradual introduction) the older one will shirek at me if i go near the cage and runs away to his bed hiding after a minute. sometimes he is fine and lets me scratch and tickle him like he used to but it is very upsetting when he goes the other way.
like this morning i got up and went over to their (MASSIVE) new cage that i got with the baby and squeaker (the 8 month old) started roaring when i went near him, and let out a string of sporadic shrieks for about 2 minutes. :( what can i do? is he jealous? protecting the baby degu?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sounds like he could be protecting the youngster and if he is in a new cage then its a strange environment for him too, just give them a chance to settle down and talk to him gently and give him lots of treats and he should come round :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i thought he might be. i took the baby away for an hour to give squeaker a 'time out' and he went back to normal:( today then he attacked me(literally went for me and bit me) when i put my hand in the cage to give him his morning scratch. im at my wits end now, im half thinking of giving away the baby as its caused so many riffs between me and my beloved pet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i feel sorry for the 3 of u's....but do give it more time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i hope so,.. but if anything its getting worse. squeaker bit me so badly today that i was bleeding for an hour. i love him so much but i am afraid i am going to end up disliking him :( i dont want to end up being afraid of my pet :(

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You really need to give it time, I have been bitten many a times over the years and once its healed you soon forget about the pain, trust me :) Maybe cease trying to handle them till he has settled down and then work with them, take it a day at a time. Why don't you start off just sitting and talking to them throught the cage bars really gently and then after 10 minutes of so give them a treat and leave then. Once he feels more comfy in your company start trying to stroke him and again treating him at end of it, he will soon come round :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya your right guys,. ive a feeling my impatience to get him back to being his old friendly self is making him worse. today i just fed him bits of treat and stroked him for second then left him,. hes sooo attached to his new friend he actually gave him some treat, hes so cute! il keep ye updated hopefully othe old squeaker will be back in no time.

in other news,.. anyone want to suggest a name for the new guy? i want something that goes with squeaker, was thinking nibbler or chewy or something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts