Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 week old lab cross has developed cherry eye. We've already seen the vet and we've been given a ointment for it. There is a surgery that they can do when they spay her, but it isn't always successful.

While it is only a cosmetic problem and doesn't cause her any pain or discomfort she plays with my cats and when they're tired of her they bat at her nose. I'm worried that one of them will catch the inflamed part and scratch it.

Does anyone know of any ways I can treat cherry eye?

Thank you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hrm.... I've never heard of that before. It looks painful (even though it may not be) and just weird.

Is it something that might correct itself when the puppy reaches her full size? I saw some stuff on the web that says you can try to massage it back into place.

The massage method involves gently closing the dog's outer eyelid and then carefully pushing without using much pressure on the area at the corner of the eye where the cherry is located. The idea is to push gently toward the dog's nose in an attempt to pop the gland back into place. Some dog owners report success after three to four massage sessions; others indicated it took more than a week of massage. Many used warm compresses to ease the process. Frequently, the massage solution is only temporarily and the gland pops back out. However, some dog owners report success after repeated tries. A word of caution is necessary to new dog owners. The area being massaged is very delicate and mishandling can result in damage to the eyeball if not done properly.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I would weigh the option of trying to surgically fix it if the cats bat at her. My aunt's poodle cross gets cherry eye all the time and I would hate to see my own dog just walking around with it if I knew there was something I could do to alleviate it, you know? Talk with your vet again to see what else could be done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are two different surgical options. The removal of the tissue is more successful. I would see if she outgrows it myself. Do a google search. I have heard of success with a massaging it back into place technique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts