Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula. I will get more photos of me with her but I think she is beautiful in her own little way.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
She's beautiful.I love T's and hope to have one someday.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Beautiful spider. I love grammastolas.

You might want to be a bit circumspect about letting her get near your face. They can kick hairs, sometimes even accidentally. Grammastola hairs have been known to cause permanent blindness in a couple of cases where the hair entered the cornea.

I love my spiders, but I never let them get near my face and always wash my hands thoroughly lest I accidentally transfer one of the urticating hairs to my eyes by accident.

I know there is just a remote chance, but my eyesight is not something I'll put on the line even for a remote chance.

Here is an article for you on the subject.

The urticarious hairs of tarantulas are poorly recognised as potential ocular irritants. Interestingly and alarmingly, Chilean Rose tarantulas are the most popular and widely available spiders on the market because of their hardiness, docility, and apparently harmless, non-venomous nature. They are often bought for children.

Our clinical experience suggests that the transfer from spider to hand to eye of urticarious hairs form the Chilean Rose tarantula may result in devastating ocular inflammation. We recommend not handling tarantulas routinely. If people must handle tarantulas then we suggest that they wear gloves, avoid rubbing the eyes during handling, and thoroughly wash their hands after handling to minimise the transfer of hairs. Raising awareness of this issue among those selling tarantulas and owners will hopefully prevent further cases.
I hope this doesn't come across as being critical, I'm really just worried about your safety. You are a beautiful young lady, and you've got a beautiful spider there with you. I saw your pictures in your other threads of you you Burmese and your equines. The "Burm" looks very healthy. And I love your donkey, I have two donkeys in my area at the zoo that I have taken care of for the past 11 years. Love 'em!

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the information. I will definitely rethink some actions I've taken while they were meaning no harm to myself or the spider that is a great piece of information to take into consideration. I have read they can throw their hair but did not realize the distance.

Thanks for the info, glad you liked the other creatures. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
she's very pretty. Be prepared for her to randomly fast... Rosies are very unpredictable, and sometimes they'll stop eating for months at a time. But they make great pets. Out of my eight tarantulas, my rosie is the only one I'll handle.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
She's gorgeous! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
She is pretty. It's nice that you can handle her. My boyfriend had an orange baboon who was beautiful but I was so scared of him because everything I read said they were extremely aggressive. A nice little Chilean Rose wouldn't scare me, they look friendly. Do you pick her up or let her walk onto your hand? I'm wondering if spiders bond with people in the way that some other pets do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt they would bond with people though who am I to say! I do let her walk on my hand though once sometimes just if she feels like walking onto it :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I don't think they bond with people either.
They are not like cats,dogs or even rodents.If you want a pet that will bond with you,a tarantula or other invert is not the pet to get!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didn't think she would be cuddling up or being affectionate or stuff like that but I wasn't sure if a spider would choose to walk onto your hand and decide to let you handle it. My cockroaches for example make it clear that they do not want to be touched by me, so I don't touch them unless I have to. I guess the spider is maybe indifferent to you and doesn't mind being handled?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spider has never shown aggression. I think I am more a "thing" she can choose to walk onto my hand with a little light encouragement but when she doesn't want to move I don't make her.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
As you probably already know,different species of animals respond to various stimuli in various ways. This is as true of spiders as any other animal. Chilean Rosehairs (Grammastola sp.) are very amenable to being touched and handled.

In fact it seems that most of the "nice" spiders come from Central and South America. Many, if not most, of the "Old World" spiders (from Africa and Asia) are fairly aggressive.

There are always exceptions, most of the large spiders from the rain forest are pretty aggressive. Some of them also have a particularly irritating form of urticating hair that can cause some strong reactions in some people. You may also find that the more you are exposed to these hairs (even from your Rosehair), the stronger your reaction gets, as you become more allergic to them.

Handling is still never a good idea. Even if you see no immediate change in it's behavior, you are still stressing the animal. Because sometimes even your breath can cause a spider to run unexpectedly, you are also running a risk of dropping the animal anytime you pick it up. Tarantulas have very little supporting exoskeleton on their abdomens. Consequently, they are like little water balloons, ..if you drop them they can burst open. They could also easily break a leg. They don't have blood like we do, they have a liquid called hemolymph. This liquid does not have the capacity to clot like our blood does, so they can easily bleed to death from small injuries.

You should ask yourself each time you pick your spider up, ...is what I'm doing worth risking the animals life? Am I doing this for the animal, ...or for me?

Bob

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Very cute tarantula indeed! Whats their name? My chilean rose is named Charlotte :)
I love my tarantulas; but I don't handle them if I can help it at all...i'm actually allergic to bites so I don't risk it....but I love them all the same.(I use gloves when cleaning the tanks too...just in case of allergic reactions to the hairs,better safe than sorry ;) ) I do admit to Charlotte climbing on my arm sometimes though...& I'm hesitant to move her in case I startle her...but it's something I really try to limit having contact with them...since i'm allergic& im scared they'd fall.

Mygala is really good on this subject :yes: !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome. I love my G. Rosea, but if you want something thats cooler looking, gets about 3x the size and has a similar docile disposition, you should look into a Grammostola Aureostriata (Chaco Gold Knee). Here's a photo of my 2" juvenile (they get up to about 10")

As they grow, they get darker and the gold pops out more.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Beautiful T!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts