Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a cage for my chinchillas, and it was a ferret cage.... but i looked up the cage and every wbesite ( of reputable source) said it was a good cage for chinchillas "the best" in fact....

but i have a problem and i need to know how to fix it asap

their poo, is constantly fleeing the cage along with everything else, i have had chinchillas for years and this has never been a problem, there is pee ruining the carpet and my mom is getting pi**** off what should i do? its a two story three teir cage and i dont want to go any smaller, but i will get a new cage, or is there a way i can adapt the cage?

(its called somthing like ferret hotel, or mansion)

please all suggestions are help ful

·
Registered
230 Posts
a picture of the cage and set up would help a lot.

things that help are

- poo guards
-cage cover (a light fleece is best)
- deep base pans

·
Registered
222 Posts
That is the cage I have for my chins. I got deeper metal trays made to keep everything in. The poo still flies out on occasion, but I don't have any pee coming from the cage. The trays are about an inch and a half deep.

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did not order them through a company because my grandpa knows someone who did metal working so I didn't have to find a company, but before I realized that I searched for some and Bass Equipment was one I recognize.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Heres what I did to my cage. Redid everything with Pine wood and make little poop guards around the edges to keep it from flying around. I also used plexiglass on the bottom for their pee area. They LOVE IT!

http://nik8806.smugmug.com/Chinchillas/2009/9275145_bckCh#747723425_Gs7re

If the link doesnt work its
http://nik8806.smugmug.com/
Under Chinchilla folder
Then go to Chinchilla 2009
Then on page 4 and 5 you will find the new cage setup :) If you click on the picture it will make it larger.

I have also modified it a bit. Adding a flying saucer wheel (highly reccomend this!) and making the pee area half the sixe of the bottom shelf.
Hope this helps! It cost a bit of money to do, but wasnt too tough. And TOTALLY worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good (and preferably attractive looking) chin cage. I have 2 males, father and son and at present they are in a standard metal cage from Pets at Home. Soon after getting them the father started to bite the babys whiskers and fur around his eyes which causes him to have white mucus in eyes and they sometimes stick together. I have since separated them in the cage with a purpose build separator with door. When his eyes are fine I let them play together as they love to be with each other and snuggle up to sleep, but if they look like have been bitten or may get sore I separate them again. My problem is that they then only have half the space they should have (even though they come out to play every day) and I want a larger cage that can be separated occasionally. I am struggling to find one in the UK that does not have plastic. My chins are chewers and no way could I put plastic in their surroundings. Also some cages such as the Liberta Happy House has unsafe ladders that they can catch their feet in.

Can anyone help or direct me to a suitable retailer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts