Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am new to this website. I have a neutered male chinchilla, about three years old and "hetero beige"--that doesn't mean much to me, but his previous owner thought it made him special :)
I got Benjamin few months ago. He is my first chinchilla and I am pretty much obsessed with him, and want to make him happy and give him lots of places to explore. His previous owner said that he was leash trained for a while, but that she hadn't taken him out in a long time. I got him a little harness and a leash, but he doesn't like it very much. He accepts the harness if I put it on him around 6 PM, when he's just waking up, but if I put it on him later in the night he gets very agitated.
Does anyone have any tips on leashing a chinchilla? I would love to bring him outside when it's cool, or at least to have him scamper around a different area of my apartment.
Thanks!

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I personally wouldn't use a leash on him -- it would be incredibly easy for him to tangle in it and possibly break a leg.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
It's nearly impossible to train a chinchilla to use a leash.
I do not know how high the humidity is where you live, but this is often a problem when taking chinchillas out side.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
It's nearly impossible to train a chinchilla to use a leash.
I do not know how high the humidity is where you live, but this is often a problem when taking chinchillas out side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wouldnt put any type of harness or collar on him. They have floating rib cages and it could break them very easily, Plus if he gets out of the harness it would be extremly hard to catch the little bugger onces he's outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts