Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have seen before, I finally have my two males living together now that I have moved. They are getting along ok 95% of the time, but those other times, Edward, the bigger of the two chinchillas will start chasing Alfred, who is usually the dominant one, and Alfred then has fur slip (not sure how to word that correctly) and gets very tired out and scared.

I'm thinking this is a challenging of Alfred's dominance and they are probably both alpha males. Correct me if that seems wrong. I'm wondering, will neutering Edward alleviate some of this competition? If it will not make a difference, I don't want to put him through it. Any insight or ideas would be very much appreciated

(P.S. I thought it was a problem from me bringing them home some weekends, but I have stopped doing so, and it still happens on occasion)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the dilema I am running in to though. For one, I separated them months ago for this and neither seemed himself afterwards. They were depressed about losing their friend.

In addition, I guess I did not explain this the best, but not only do they get along ok 95% of the time, they cuddle with eachother and groom eachother. Just now I came home to find them sitting comfortably with their butts against each other and sleeping. I don't feel that they are an incompatible pair, I'm just having questions as to whether neutering one would improve their relationship. Im pretty sure this is usually the case with two male intact dogs. If one is neutered he is more likely to accept the more submissive role. Correct me if I am way off. I just am trying to figure this out so they can be as happy as possible. That is all I want for them.

I know it seems like an unusual situation. I'm seeking advice on it because I don't see this as a typical interaction between chinchillas. I just want them both to be happy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this sounds like a really wired situation I am having, and I agree. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen. They are fine all day, and then some but not all nights, the one who is usually less dominant chases the dominant one and he loses some fur. I'm willing to do anything that is best for them. All replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you for the replies I have already gotten.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not familiar with neutering male chinchilla's. So I don't know if that would help the problem out or not. How long have both of yours been together in the same cage for? My first two males were a bit of a challenge to get them to get a long. I started out with both cages side to side for about a month, then allowed them to start exploring each others cage, then I tried to the 'smush' technique twice before they started to use the same play area. It took a couple months (about 2) and a couple times of having to separate them here and there, but they've been getting a long since (which has been about 5 years now.) They still bicker once in awhile, but I think all pairs do :)

Pillow came from a home I rescued him from, while Case came from a breeder. Pillow was never used to homing together with another chin, while the other was.

But that's how I did it - with a lot of patience and practice. However, keep in mind some chinchilla's will never get a long with another. It really depends on the personality. I don't know of neutering will fix that problem, but try to remember that you might not be able to ever pair those two. Fur-slipping is not a good sign.

I just rescued another male the other day. So I'm going to have to go through this process all over again awhile from now, but I won't know until after quarantine, etc if this male will get along with my other two. Its a 50/50 chance when dealing with more than one chinnie. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Edit: I'm not sure if neutering is something I would even recommend for that situation because I'm not even sure if that would work out in the end any way. I think reason for neuter should be only to keep from breeding - but if you have two males and plan on keeping them you shouldn't have to worry about that. It's not a weird situation that you're going through. They're cuddling during the day because they're sleeping :) And they're awake at night, so that's when you'll notice the problems. As I said, fur-slipping is really not a good sign if they've been together for awhile and this is still going on. I had fur-slipping with my first two when they were still getting used to each other. But if you've had them together for more than a month or two, and they're sitting fighting enough that there's fur loss, I would recommend separating them and just keep their two cages next to each other. They may just have to live that way.

There are others here that might be able to throw in some more options, as well. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are being permanently separated. This morning alfred has a wound on his head. is there anything ican do to keep it from getting infected or should I just take him to the vet? Please reply quickly. I wasnt to get him taken care of as quickly as possible

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont think it is actually a bite wound. I think it is from hitting his head on the shelf in the cage, but it is a split. I think Im going to take him to the vet to be safe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, that housing arrangement is not going to work. How bad is the cut? Is it deep and bleeding? If it's more of a scratch then I would take him to the vet just to make sure if he needs stitches (or glue) or not. It's safer to always go with the vet option if you have any doubt. Other than that, I'm not sure if any OTC product is safe on chins to use to help prevent infection. The vet may order anti-biotics - Baytril is one I know is safe and have used on my chins before. Other than that, do not give him any dust baths until the wound is healed up all the way. Good luck :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much. It doesn't look so much like a bite wound as a spot where he hit his head on the wood shelf trying to get away from the other one and the skin is split. I tried cutting away the fur to keep it out of the wound, and of course he is uncooperative, but I tried my best and got some of it out of the way. I called my vet and have an appointment today when she gets out of surgery at 3. The wound was bloody a little bit around the edges, but it did not continue to bleed. He is acting himself so that is a good sign.

Obviously these two are never going to live together, and luckily I already have separate cages so I will just have to love them both separately. I was really hoping it would work out between them because I got Edward as a companion for Alfred, but obviously it was not meant to be. I feel horrible now that I let this happen. They seemed to be getting along alright, but I was starting to have doubts and I feel horrible that I did not separate them a day sooner. At least on the bright side I was home to know it happened so that I could find the wound because it was covered so much by fur that I would not have found it if I wasn't looking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No problem :) I hope it's just a minor nick so that nothing extensive has to be done. Talk to the vet about an anti-biotic, I would recommend Baytril.

Unfortunately, some chins just won't ever be able to get a long. I'm sure if you put both cages close together, they can keep each other company that way without being able to injure one another.

I just rescued a chin the other day. My other two are housed together but that took some time. One of them is the aggressive, dominant type and I think the chin I just rescued is, too. I foresee possible problems in these two getting a long. I may not be able to house this new chin with my other two, which will suck but that's why I have extra cages. We may have our good intentions by trying to pair them, but sometimes we never know until it comes down to it. We give them a loving home, and that's all that matters in the end :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. The vet put him on Bactrim and also told me to give him yogurt as a pro-biotic. Does anyone have any recommendations on the type? He is on the antibiotic for 7 days, and my poor baby had to get two stitches. It was much larger than even I could see, but once she shaved him you could tell. I am sure glad I brought him to the vet. My poor baby. I will be watching the wound like a hawk while it heals. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aw, poor guy had to get two stitches. I bet he's looking pretty sad with a little bald spot on his head. He must have hit the edge of a shelf pretty hard, but I'm glad he's okay.

No real specifics on the yogurt. Just some plain live culture yogurt will do fine. You don't have to go name brand or anything. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much again for all your advice through this. I was really stressed about it all day, but I have him back home, got some yogurt in him, and he is back to eating and drinking normally. Im so proud of him. He is doing so well considering the long day he had.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Yep. The vet put him on Bactrim and also told me to give him yogurt as a pro-biotic. Does anyone have any recommendations on the type? He is on the antibiotic for 7 days, and my poor baby had to get two stitches. It was much larger than even I could see, but once she shaved him you could tell. I am sure glad I brought him to the vet. My poor baby. I will be watching the wound like a hawk while it heals. Thank you for your help.
I personally don't use yogurt on chins because they're vegans. If they need probiotics I buy some acidophilus from the local drug store and give them that instead. I've seen enough stasis problems that I don't like to take chances. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.