Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:chin2: Hi! Hoping someone can help answer a few questions for us. We just purchased a couple of chinchillas just before Christmas. We believe one is a male and one is a female. First question is: The one we believe is a female has started pulling out her fur on her rear hip, does anyone have an ideas on why she would be doing this? Second question: We cover up the cage during the day when they sleep cause we have two cats that get curious if we dont cover them up. When they are covered and sleeping they will start making this barking noise. Any ideas on why they do this? Any help or advice would be very helpful. Thank you all very much.
 

·
Proud New Mommy
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
About the female pulling out her hair it could be a number of problems Jade would be better with helping you. Are you sure that the male is a male and the female is a female? How old are they? Did you purchase them from a pet store?

They will mate and if you're not prepared for babies or if the female is too young to safetly carry kits it could be dangerous.

The barking noise means they are basically cussing about something. Im wondering if the male is trying to mount the female and she is pulling hair due to being stressed.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,971 Posts
Fur chewing is either due to stress, or a genetic he/she inherited. Under the circumstances in your case i'd guess stress offhand.

As for the barking. That is stress related. Covering them up reduces their air circulation making them hot and uncomfortable. My suggestion would be put them in a room where you can shut the cats out during the day. I would not cover their cage.


As for the pair... Rocheal is correct. If they are in fact opposite sexed pairs they can and will breed. How old is your female?? My guess is she is to young to be placed with a male if you just got her.

Also, like Rocheal i'd like to ask where you got them from? If it was from a pet store the probability of them being related is incredibly high which would make breeding them even more dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure

Thank You very much for the quick reply. We bought the chinchillas from a pet store. They came together as a pair. The pet store got them as a pair back in February 2003. The chinchillas are about a year old. Not sure if they are brother and sister. The pet store couldnt tell us that information.:chin3:
 

·
Proud New Mommy
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
If they are brother and sister that could be alot worse. A pair of chinchillas os a diff. sex will mate No matter if they are brother and sister or just "friends". This could be severely dangerous for the kits- Breeding genes together that are that similar. Are you going to seperate them?

Before you go anywhere else to get any more chinchillas I would not go to that pet store based on what you have said. They could not supply you with care about that animal AND that chinchillas background. Im not saying that all petstores are "bad" but alot of them will get their chinchillas from a big supplyer. The people that supply them often don't have good quality chinchillas that are being bred into the public for people to breed/own ect.. Then if the petstore breeds them it could be even worse. It's crazy out there what people will do for money.

Im so glad you care about them enough to come and get some info about them!! :) and Im so sorry I didn't welcome you before but :welcome2: to PT!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,971 Posts
Since the pet store gave you no information I would go based on the possibility these chins are siblings. Under those circumstances i would seperate them immediately.

Most breeders don't breed chins without pedigree's for that reason. Background information is important.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

Rocheal said:
If they are brother and sister that could be alot worse. A pair of chinchillas os a diff. sex will mate No matter if they are brother and sister or just "friends". This could be severely dangerous for the kits- Breeding genes together that are that similar. Are you going to seperate them?

Before you go anywhere else to get any more chinchillas I would not go to that pet store based on what you have said. They could not supply you with care about that animal AND that chinchillas background. Im not saying that all petstores are "bad" but alot of them will get their chinchillas from a big supplyer. The people that supply them often don't have good quality chinchillas that are being bred into the public for people to breed/own ect.. Then if the petstore breeds them it could be even worse. It's crazy out there what people will do for money.

Im so glad you care about them enough to come and get some info about them!! :) and Im so sorry I didn't welcome you before but :welcome2: to PT!!!

Thank You Very Much for the WELCOME. We are not planning to purchase any more chinchillas. Lilo and Stitch are plenty for us. Lilo and Stitch have been together since they were brought to the pet store. Would they not be very upset if they were split up?:chin3:
 

·
Proud New Mommy
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Not spliting them up could cause death. This is a very serious issue. If you allow those two to become a mating pair you are putting yourself into a situation I don't think you're ready for. Not to sound mean at all, Im just trying to look out for the chinnies and you!! They are VERY social animals and love to be with a partner (same sex if you're not breeding) but they can talk through cages and interact with supervised playtime.

You said your female is pulling hair. That stress alone is way worse than if they were to be slip apart. She is tring to tell you something.

You also said that they have been together since they were little at the pet store. Im not saying all pet stores are bad but take Jade's chinchilla, Elvis. He was purchased at a pet store and has been sick so many times and has had thousands of dollars in vet bills. This is why I don't think alot of petstores know what they're doing. They should not be selling chinchillas if they are not properly taken care of. It is your responsability as the new owner to put them in a much better enviroment.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
Rocheal said:
You also said that they have been together since they were little at the pet store. Im not saying all pet stores are bad but take Jade's chinchilla, Elvis. He was purchased at a pet store and has been sick so many times and has had thousands of dollars in vet bills. This is why I don't think alot of petstores know what they're doing. They should not be selling chinchillas if they are not properly taken care of. It is your responsability as the new owner to put them in a much better enviroment.
Elvis did not come from a pet store. He came from a reputable breeder. He was sick due to a botched neuter by an inexperienced vet. He was neutered due to fur chewing, which I did not want to pass on to babies. I had a pet store female who I never wanted to breed that needed a cagemate - neutering him seemed like a good choice at the time. $2500+ later, he's still with me.

I wholeheartedly agree with Rocheal here though - separate those chins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
Yep, it was Geri and she's been perfectly healthy. However due to her terrible fur quality, conformation, and lack of background due to a pet store purchase, I will NEVER breed her.

Additionally, she goes to the vet yearly to evaluate her health and teeth growth, to hopefully catch malocclusion early if she has it in her lineage.
 

·
Proud New Mommy
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, glennandjackie, What bedding, bath dust, and food are you using? What color are your chins? How big is their cage? I'd love to hear more about them. If you have any questions on how to take care of them, ask! Everyone here would LOVE to answer them. :paw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rocheal said:
If you don't mind me asking, glennandjackie, What bedding, bath dust, and food are you using? What color are your chins? How big is their cage? I'd love to hear more about them. If you have any questions on how to take care of them, ask! Everyone here would LOVE to answer them. :paw:
We are using Pine Shavings for bedding, Animal Farms LM Chinchilla Dust Bath, Pet Valu Chinchilla food Preferred Blend, Timothy Hay. Lilo(female) is grey with a little bit of black in her. Stitch(male) black with grey in him. Thier cage is 36inches high, 30inches wide, 2feet deep.
How do we put pictures on here....we have some of the chins but cant get them to paste on here?

Glenn and Jackie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that is definitely fur chewing. They're cute though!
 

·
Proud New Mommy
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
To me it looks like Lilo is a "standard gray" and Stich is a "hetero ebony" (?)

Pine shavings work best for chinchillas- Remember not to switch to cedar because it gives off a toxic gas when a chinchilla uses the bathroom on it. :puke:

I don't know much about the food or bath dust you're using. Jade, do you?


Are you going to seperate them? They are very cute!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
Shavings if pine need to be kiln dried. Most of the shavings at the pet store aren't. Pine still contains harmful phenols, the bulk of which can be removed if kiln dried. If you can't find this, I'd stick with Aspen or a recycled paper type bedding.

I'm not familiar with the chin food, but I'd like to see the ingredients if you're able to type them up. I searched for them on google but found nothing. The dust bath I haven't heard of either.

Also, they both appear to be standards to me. One may just be a darker color phase than the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
I'd have to see a better pic to be sure, but it appears so if you look under his chin above his right front leg. Looks bright white there to me.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top