Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if they are a different species or if they are the same? I just got a pair of "Chinese Chipmunks" and the lady said that they aren't the same species, but I looked through my chipmunk book, researched the internet and can't find much on Chinese Chipmunks, so I'm really thinking that they are the same species.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
133 Posts
She should be able to give you a scientific name then you would know for sure. There are several different subspecies of Siberian chipmunk,Tamias sibiricus. If they are different and are Chinese I would guess they are the same species but maybe a different subspecies if others sold originated from other areas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's a broker/breeder, supplies petstores, etc. These guys are ones the she bought from a company to resell...I don't think shes very "in tuned" with knowledge if you know what I mean. I'm sure she would say she doesn't know if I asked next time I saw her.

I know of the various subspecies. In my Chipmunk book it lists them all and there common names, but none were called Chinese. It's a mystery. I'm betting my money that they're the same species.

Thanks for your input :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts