Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hello: ! Umm I was looking at the adoption page on this website and it says chipmunks! Now that would be a great pet to have and I would love to adopt one...its just....I always thought they were illegal to own. Maybe I am wrong. I live in California so it would be GREAT if someone could help me! Thanks an advance! And sorry if this is posted in the wrong place lol.

·
Tarzan Mama of Two
7,329 Posts
CiciGlider they are illegal in Australia too but very vvery occassionally people are allowed to keep them. Like for instance say they found an injured chipmunk, looked after it until it returned to good health but it would never survive in the wild again...then people with high authority (I know so much on the subject don't I!!lol I think it's animal welfare!) come and assess the situation and decide if it is okay. But everywhere has different laws so I guess it might be possible in some states with a permit or something! The day they make it legal in Aus is the day I go and get myself one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keeping a chipmunk.

Hello Mia,
We live in Singapore and we kept one before. Our Dad bought it from Malaysia.It's fun keeping one.Wish you good luck on finding one!:pdkiss:

Regards,
A.I.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're going to have a chipmunk as a pet it is very important that you build suitable housing for it. THey are very active animals, so a small enclosure will not work and could harm it's health.

The best home is a large outdoor run completely fenced in fine mesh, with attached indoor housing. There should also be fencing sunk down into the ground because chipmunks can dig.

Lane

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
this is very old, and the person who originally wrote this I don't think is around anymore

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.