Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, these are for everyone here, but Claire specifically asked me for some pictures of my little girls and I have taken forever and a day to get them out to her! So, Claire, hun, these are for you!

This is Mousie-Mousie, also known as (Greedie Gretta!) LOL

And this little sweetheart doesn't really have a name yet. I just love her to pieces. She is a little doll.

Me first!

I just love them both so much. I know that their cage looks small, but it really isn't. It is the largest aquarium that I can get them. This summer when I have more money saved, I am going to upgrade it. Plus, right now, they are safe from my kitties. That's so important. But they really have so much room. The pictures just look so small here. Luvs ya! Charlene

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Cuties! Can i just ask what the wood shavings are that you are using coz wood shavings aren't good for ratties its very dusty and can cause respiratory problems xx

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Awww they are sooo cute! :D
I especially LOVE the first picture!
xxx

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, hun, you can ask. The wood shavings I am using are the same I use for my Degus. And, they are the ones that are the ones that do not have any fumes in them at all. My pet stores use them here. Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to hurt my babies! Please tell me.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Sorry hun i didnt mean to scare you it's just that pine or cedar wood shaving are not good for ratties! I use paper pellets for mine as i was using wood pellets that the pet store use and i had a lot of troubles with respiratory infections but now that i have changed to paper and they have all been treated i havent had any troubles!
If they are pine or cedar i would change before your ratties get sick coz although they say they are fume free etc that's not always the case and i wouldnt want your ratties getting poorly!!! xxxxx

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll look into paper pellets here, but I don't think I have ever seen them. I went to check the bag and I feel a bit better. I get the stuff I use from PetCo. They make it as far as I can tell. Here is what the bag says:

Aspen bedding
All Natural Wood Shavings
*Tripple screened shavings leave no dust for a healthier pet.
*Scent free - no aromatic oils

This is what I use for my Degus because I know Pine and Cedar is BAD, and aromatic Oils are a NO NO, so I just figured it would be o.k. for my ratties too. They seem to be o.k. I've only seen them sneeze once or twice when I dump in the new bedding and that was because the little goofballs ran directly underneath where I was dumping in the new bedding and they got it right up their nose! Otherwise, they seem to be pretty healthy, knock on wood! And I hope they stay that way. This is what our stores here use. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've had them for over a year and this is what I have been doing. Oh, please tell me I haven't hurt them!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Awwww...your babies are too cute!!!! Thanks for sharing pictures of them!!!

Charlene do not worry.Aspen is safe.
I use aspen for my rats.Pine and cedar contain phenols which are harmful to small animals,but aspen does not contain these phenols.

·
Jird Jostler
810 Posts
Phew.. I got a bit worried then too.., I just supposed that respiritory problems that occur in Rats would also occur in Jirds. But I'm using Aspen for minnie so she should be fine. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh... Thank goodness! Had me scared out of my wits there for a minute or two. I have always read very closely and especially having Degus I'm overly protective, so I do for my ratties, what I do for my degus. Awwe, everyone is spoiled here! LOL. Glad you brought it to my attention though. Better safe than sorry and hey, maybe someone else reading this didn't know, ya know? That's how I learn sometimes is just by "happening upon" things, even when I don't have that pet yet. So, it's good that this was brought up in more way than one! Anyway, glad that all is well! I can breathe now and I know that they are breathing o.k.!

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh GIMMMMMMMMME!! I want your babies!!!!! They are so CUTEEE!! Thank you so much hunnie im glad i waited for these photos it was worth it!!! You better be showing me MORE photos of these girlies from now on mrs! LOVE YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL! There is just so much of me to go around! Hee hee. You know I have a Zoo. Degus, Cats, Rats, Frogs, Horse, Aquarium, OMG, Feeding Wild Birds! How can I be everywhere at once! LMAO! I have so much fun bouncing around, I do miss things though. hee hee. I try! Luvs you all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts