Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im wondering, i found some clam shells along the river when i tried to go fishing. can i put the clamshells (sans clam) in my aquarium? will it give calcium to help my zebra snail's shell?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
i have clam shells in my betta's tank that i sterilized... not sure about providing calcium or if ur tank is totally different...i'm sure someone will know for certain :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What fish are in the tank? The problem with shells is that they can raise the alkalinity/pH of the water which isn't always good...especially for your average freshwater tank. They would help provide calcium, though, depending on how old the shells are and if they've been treated with anything.

But if you have lots of other fish in the tank be careful. Shells are best suited for brackish/marine set-ups.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh ok then, thanks sami, i'll just take out the two i put in to be safe, i appreciate this!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
No problem.

If you do need calcium for the snails then I would just buy a small bottle of liquid calcium (made for marine tanks) and add a tiny amount once in a while. You can also feed calcium-rich leafy greens to the snails such as spinach and kale :).

Reactions: pinkie1205

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool! that's good to know!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I find it so strange that clamshells would change a tank that much!
You'd be surprised what can change the water parameters. For example, driftwood often lowers pH and limestone raises it. And copper kills invertebrates...even in small amounts.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
haha so put in your driftwood and clam shell and you will be balanced! (really don't fallow my advise thats just weird)

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also good to know! i had a driftwood but i thought it would just get gross so i threw it out, plus i didn't know where it'd been LOL

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
haha so put in your driftwood and clam shell and you will be balanced! (really don't fallow my advise thats just weird)
Haha, I wish it was that simple :lol:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts