Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of doing some clicker training with my rabbits. Nothing fancy, maybe just get them to come to me on command. I was wondering if anyone has tried this?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've never tried a clicker or anything like that, but my buns will come to a single finger snap. Charlie and Creeps are the best at it, Daisy is still a little reluctant but it gets her attention, and Rocko is still learning - he's comes to me if I say "hi" to him.

I can't whistle for the life of me (never been able to), so I've always just snapped to get a pet's attention. I've also trained all of the buns (and they've all learned this one now) that multiple snaps means "Stop what you're doing or I'm going to make you stop", and they're all pretty good at getting the message the first time. If not, just me walking towards them will make them turn into "angel bunny" again. :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I've never used a clicker but have trained my bunnies. I use voice commands and when they are first learning I give them treats for obeying. As they get better I slowly phase out the treats and mostly pet or praise them. Treats definately help a lot...I would use really tasty treats and reserve them just for training.

I also have done target training with Elvis. This involves teaching them to touch an object on command and using that skill to get them to come, heel, retrieve, jump over things, etc. I use a small ball as my "target" and started by giving him a small treat every time he nudged the ball. Then I added a command, "target". At this point he comes when called and goes to specific areas. We're working on jumping hurdles :). Let me know if you want more info...target training is easy for bunnies to learn and tons of fun! :)

If you do target or clicker training I would start in the bathroom or another small, "boring" area. This way your bunny won't be too distracted.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jewels and Sasami,
Thanks for all of the ideas. I hope I can put some of your ideas into practice.

My rabbits are trained on schedule. When they see me at 1:00pm they know it is time for lunch and so they run to their hutch and jump inside. If I am late, they lay in front of the pen door so I know they are waiting. Their next meal is at 1:00am, (I work nights) and if I am late, my dog barks at the door until I go out to feed the rabbits. We have all become such creatures of habit. I would really like to spend more time on training, but I am working overtime right now, so I guess I will be training in baby steps.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Oh that sounds so neat. Mine know the word "no" but that seems to be all. I think they know their names but they won't say for sure. They do know the sound of the treat container though. Ophelia goes nuts when she hears it. She is so cute. She LOVES banana chips. I know that I should use those to train with.
Should I try to get them to bond to me first? They like each other but I am still trying to convence them they I am nice too.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
kathydip said:
Oh that sounds so neat. Mine know the word "no" but that seems to be all. I think they know their names but they won't say for sure. They do know the sound of the treat container though. Ophelia goes nuts when she hears it. She is so cute. She LOVES banana chips. I know that I should use those to train with.
Should I try to get them to bond to me first? They like each other but I am still trying to convence them they I am nice too.
Actually, if they'll come near you for treats it doesn't matter if they're completely bonded to you. In fact, I've found that training can help the bond! Training Sakura boosted her confidence and trust in me and she became much friendlier.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bananas are my rabbit's favorite treat. Tasha (she has the same coloring as Elvis) will take treats from my hand, but otherwise she doesn't want to be touched. I was thinking of training her to come for treats with the clicker, because I want my little friends to be able to call them. There are four of my neighbor kids that love to spend time with my rabbits. They are ages 4 to 8. Do you think if I trained my rabbits to come with a clicker that they would also come to the children when they use a clicker?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
moonchild said:
Bananas are my rabbit's favorite treat. Tasha (she has the same coloring as Elvis) will take treats from my hand, but otherwise she doesn't want to be touched. I was thinking of training her to come for treats with the clicker, because I want my little friends to be able to call them. There are four of my neighbor kids that love to spend time with my rabbits. They are ages 4 to 8. Do you think if I trained my rabbits to come with a clicker that they would also come to the children when they use a clicker?
If the children helped out with the training then probably. But they would definately have to work with the bunnies too. I know that my rabbits will only listen to me and certain family members :lol:.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
moonchild said:
My rabbits will be 4 years old this winter. Is age a factor in training?
I actually find adults to be easier sometimes because they aren't so hyper :lol:.

Elvis, who does the best with training, was adopted when he was two years old. Sakura is really good too and I got her when she was almost four :). So I don't think age matters that much. When I had Sparkie he was pretty good with commands....and he was adopted when he was six years old!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts