Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate clipping Oreo's nails! It is such a pain, and I am so afraid to go too short. I've done it once before, totally fipped, and realised it was no big deal. i thought i killed him! Thanx for styptic powder, I no longer think I'm going to kill him if i do cut the quick. Do any of you have any tips? He's so squirmy and won't stay still. Since his nails are so curve, they flatten when I clip them, and it doesn't look like that would feel very good. i'm afraid to crack his nail when it bends like that. Should i use something other that human nail clippers?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I thought you could buy special clippers at the pet store...
Anyways, why don't you take him to the vet to do it? I know at my vet, the techs are more than happy to clip the nails of an animal. They don't charge a lot at all, if anything. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really take him to the vet every five days. His nails grow sooooo fast! Like 2 millimeters a week My vet in oregon said the only way she could do it wasn't very comfortable for him. I don't have a vet here yet. I've got to go find one. Maybe I'll try bird nail clippers. I don't know what they are like, but it never hurts to look. I found dog, and cat clippers, they won't work. Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried small bird clippers. They were too big, even the smallest. i couldn't get them between his toes very easily.Thus, the search shall continue.lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
:DFor my hedgie I bought a Tech Deck ramp (like a little toy skateboard ramp), Fine Grained sandpaper, and a tube of Krazy Glue (all of which at my local Wal-Mart) My boyfriend glued the sandpaper to the ramp, let it dry, and TAADAA a make-shift nail file!! My hedgie Ron loves climbing on the ramp to reach high on the aquarium glass:D He's having fun and its keeping his nails short at the same time!!! It's cheap and it works!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts