Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen them online and on fourms but i know close to nothing about them and would very much like to. they look adorable, ive read a little bit and have become interested how they are as pets.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arent they! ive been googling them for 3 hours nows!
but i would still love to talk to someone who knows about them other then just reading articles offline.
and i cant find the law in washington to see if im allowed to own one.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
:( Sorry I can't help you there. Is there possibly a coatimundi forum?

·
Registered
133 Posts
No they do not make good pets for most people. They are worse than raccoons about getting into things and worse than raccoons about biting. That said I do know several people who have them and love them. It's all about what you are willing to put up with.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Are we talking Nausa nausa?

Super cute animals, but they really should be kept outdoors in big enclousers.
They are very intelligent animals.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I am actually scared of them! I know someone who has a few and they are freaky. They have long noses that bend around and just freak me out! couldnt do it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after hours and hours and hours of research and reading close to 50 different stories, im still in love with them.
ive been emailing back and forth with a breeder all day.,

·
1,530 Posts
For how long have you been interested in one?

Normally I tell people to reserch for a minimum of a couple of months.
It's mostly to ensure you really want the animal, and it's not just some spur of the moment thing.
I do the same thing every time I fall in love in with some animal :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I literally spent years researching anteaters first but there info was harder to come by than Coati's.

Have you check your local laws? State, county and city? You need to be sure of them all. Get it in writing too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I def. second the research thing. I've rescued a few of these wonderful animals and they're quite a bit different than dogs and cats. The female just I got in, only 9 months old, was kept in a rabbit hutch most of her life and even though she's in a much larger cage now, all she did at first is pace from side to side in her cage, even though she had access to the house for on average 8-10 hours a day. Its heartbreaking that lack of knowledge and commitment could cause this beautiful creature to behave like that. So please, for your coati's sake, do your research. For example, most of them freak out at the sound of keys or the vaccuum. They don't like loud noises and are lactose intollerant. My new little girl loves her bottle still and loves fruit, as well. There is no proven rabies vaccine for them, and they are very particular in regards to other vaccines and anesthesia. Most vets won't touch them, so make sure you have one first. Most of them can't be litter trained, because its too much fun to dig and climb in and make a mess all over the floor. The best I've ever had only went to the bathroom in their cage, the worst, all over the floor and in my shoes.

Don't get me wrong, they can bring a ton of joy, but they are not for 99% of people. especially if you like the drywall on your walls, the stuffing in the cushions of your couch, the dog food in the bag and not all over the floor, and your socks in your bedroom and not in your coati's mouth as he/she runs around your house with them, playing "catch me if you can." I'm not an expert or anything, just personal experience. There's also a yahoo group for coatis you can join or feel free to email me any questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive done a week of googling (i did 6 plus hours daily) and im still very interested. i found a vet that 40 minutes away :]! and have talked to her about them.

·
1,530 Posts
A week is very little time :)

If you'r truly interested, a couple of monts wont hurt :)
You'll also have the time to set up a nice cage, find out how to feed in the right way and so on :)

I've been reserching hedgehogs for a couple of years now, and even thoug I really want one, I'm not dead because of waiting ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I disagree with Tamndua girl. I have raised coatis for several years and found that they are some of the most loving and affeectionate pets you can have. The key is to raisse them properly and allow them to bond to you.
Please don't take offense Tamndua, your expereince is not uncommon with improperly trained coatis.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's why I said don't make good pets for most people. You think most any person would think having a coati is a good pet after having it awhile?

Do you deny that such issue like reflexive bites due to things like jingling key noises are common? It doesn't sound like a training issue to me but a genetic reflex to certain sounds. Most people are not into working around issues like that but will expect the animal to change instead.

To put it in other words. I would not recommend a coatimundi as a starter exotic. Maybe not an advanced exotic but not an okay for anyone sort of exotic.

Yeah anything can be a good pet for the right owner that knows what to expect. Some people have crocodiles and love them so are good pets but they certainly are not good pets for most people.

PS I know lots of people who own them and love them but I know from their experiences I'd not want one and they don't try to hide their issues. Every exotic has issues for anyone only used to domestics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with your coati. I am assuming one of two senarios happened with you.

You were sold an older coati that had not properly been cared for or you were sold a younger coati without being instructed how to properly care and train your coati.

I have raised several coatis and if properly trained and bonded, they make incredibly affectionate pets that do not have any of the issues that you claim.

We gave my son a coati 7 years ago when he was 8 yrs old and his coati still jumps in his arms and loves all over him. We have several others that we let run loose outside in our backyard and when we go out, they quickly run to us and climb all over us wanting to be petted.

If you would like help to learn how to properly train and bond to your coati feel free to contact me again.

Again, I am sorry that you had a negative experience. That shouldn't have happened and shame on whoever put you in that position.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts