Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
How are you "correcting" him? Positive reinforcement works wonders for anxious dogs and I don't think I'd use any "corrections". But I might be interpreting the word differently than you, maybe you just mean saying "no" or something!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Do you clicker train? I think this would be a great opportunity to use one. When he's being anxious, try directing him over to a bed or pillow on the floor (or some other specific spot). I think you've mentioned him knowing some commands so you can use "Down, Stay" or whatever he knows to get him there. When he's on the bed, click and treat. Keep doing this to the point where you can walk away and he'll sit/lie down calmly on the bed. Eventually you can assign a command like "Bed" to the action, just make sure to keep reinforcing it. Even if he just goes to the bed and lies down on his own, sometimes click and treat. You should be able to phase out the treats after a while but I'd still toss him one occasionally.

What about using calming signals with him? Like yawning, blinking slowly, lip licking. I've been trying that with my dogs and it does work to some degree. When they are barking I go look out the window with them, let out a yawn and sigh a bit to let them know I'm not worried nor should you be. I sometimes get the yawn and lip licking back. ;)
This is a great idea. I use techniques like that with anxious fosters and it can really help. Dogs are great at reading body language so using calming signals can make them feel calmer.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Dogs actually see yawning as a signal that you're calm and everything is OK. It's more to do with that than empathy IMO. So even if he doesn't yawn back, it could still help.

You don't need a clicker, the treats plus a praise word would work too :). Clickers are just convenient.

Good luck :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.