Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! i need to start thinking about what i want to do in college and i can't decide on something :confused:. here's my list of potential careers:

veterinarian
child psychologist
elementary school teacher
business manager (opening my own pet store, NO puppy mill / kitten mill animals.)

i have to start applying for colleges soon and still have no idea which one of these i want to do :what:. any advice?

thanks!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
well, it is up to you, but I think you should go for the one you find easiest or the one you think your the best at, the one that might get you the most money and or the one that you will be able to set up and get to easily.
They all look like good options and either way you are going to earn good money, so just go for it! Think about the types of subjects that are your favourite ect and try to pick one you think you will enjoy because if you are going to find it boring there is not going to be much point in doing it.
I personally would go for veterinarian, but it can get sad and gross sometimes seeing the state some animals can get into! The one I would say not to go for being me is the elementary school teacher as it can get stressy and I dont think it would be the most brilliant job in the world, telling of children, and spending hours teaching...but the others sound good!
I'd say, choose between veterinarian and child pyschologist as these are rewarding jobs and at the end of the day you feel like you've helped out in the world and made it a better place ;)
Good Luck!!! :)

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Those are all great choices.

As a college grad, let me tell you - You don't need to know what you'll be majoring in when you enter college. Sure, it may help you pick which school you want to attend. But in the end, you don't need to know. I thought I did, and I changed to something completely different within a year.

Just tell them when you go that you are "Undecided" and that you want to take whatever Basics EVERYONE needs, regardless of major. Then spend that time deciding. Talk to some of the professors in each field, and see what kind of advice they can give you. Tell them, "I'm considering entering the field that you specialize in. Can you give me some pros and cons on this field?" I'm sure they'll help you. Just make appointments. :)

Don't be in such a rush. ;) It'll work out. :)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, you can go in undecided and choose later on what you want to major in. When I went in I applied as a general biology major because I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do, then eventually I switched to wildlife biology. My school lets you stay as undecided untill your second year, after that you have to declair your major. But that should be plenty of time for you to take a few classes in each area, and decide what you like most :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
At U of O, I went in as a Biology major right away, but I had several friends who declared "general education" until they decided what exactly they wanted to do. Take some classes in the fields you are interested in and see what strikes your fancy :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
They all look good. The advice you were given has all been good.

All of those are good careers. I would ask the schools how many of each of these fields get hired in their fields upon graduation. You might choose based on that and based upon salary. There are a lot of things to help make the decisions. It isn't cookie-cutter fitted.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
One note on the vet major -- it can be extremely hard to get into vet school. Here you major in animal science with a pre-vet concentration, and then apply for vet school once you graduate. Less people are admitted to the vet school than to the medical school of the college in the next town over.

·
Jird Jostler
810 Posts
They all sound good, i am thinking of possible career choices at the moment for myself as i need to decide soon too. Does anyone know what the highest paid jobs are ( except dentist, doctor or vet) they're all too gory for my liking. I was thinking about becoming a optician but i think i may get bored. All my pathways are opening towards a career in medison (sp??) as i enjoy sciences and i enjoy mathematics as i am doing it a year before everyone else in my year. I have a problem with dissection though, it makes me physically sick, and although i would love to be a doctor or dentist this is the reason why i can't.

anyhow im babbling ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts