Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting two convicts tomorrow, tank is all ready with hiding places, caves, and clay pots. My question is to all convict owners (your experience):in all my reading, I see notes about how they love to dig up plants, then in other notes I read about how it's good to have a few plants to mimic their natural habitat....which is more accurate?

I also read about some saying they prefer freshwater, some saying brackish water, and some saying more saltwater. Which of these is true? I want to make sure my tank is set up properly!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
They do tend to dig up plants but you may be able to get away with plants that don't root in the substrate but can instead be tied to driftwood/rocks. Java ferns and anubias, for example. Silk plants always work, too ;).

They are freshwater fish. They can tolerate low-salinity brackish conditions but do just fine in pure freshwater. They need hard, basic water conditions so some people may be adding some marine salt to help buffer the water, I guess. Depending on your tap water, you may need to choose a substrate that will act as a buffer (or use an additive designed for Central American cichlids).

Good luck with your fish :). Are they already sexed?

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sasami. I've actually decided to cancel my appointment tomorrow. I'm not comfortable with the size of my tank for these fish. Everything is cycled nicely, but it's only at 15 gal. I'd rather have fish like these in a 30 gal easily. Thanks so much for your advice though :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Thanks sasami. I've actually decided to cancel my appointment tomorrow. I'm not comfortable with the size of my tank for these fish. Everything is cycled nicely, but it's only at 15 gal. I'd rather have fish like these in a 30 gal easily. Thanks so much for your advice though :)
Ah, yeah, a 15 gallon is too small for convicts long-term. Thank you for being responsible :).

Any ideas for what species you want instead? :D

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol you're welcome. I was thinking of blue platies, I'd had them before (years ago) and they're fantastic to watch, and so peaceful. :) I think I'd started with 6 and had some fry mature to make my count 10. I'm going to read more about tetras too. I'm not a huge fan of guppies...I don't find them very interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts