Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Cookie is ill :c

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Crunchie2011 
#1 ·
Cookie def. has some kind of bug and I can tell right away.. First, her face is moist looking and she does not open her eyes. It looks like a bit of mucus. Second, she does not feel like her usual plump self, I could feel her hip bones, and third, her tummy was hard! Like there was something solid.:confused:

She usually drinks an inordinate amount of water, but today not so much.. if she is constipated, she needs water! I offered her some lettuce and her favorite seeds, and she turned them down :/ for sure something is wrong.

Now she's in the corner of her cage standing upright, sleeping as if she was chewing on the bars. :/ I hope it's just the little flu they sometimes get... It's amazing how quickly their little bodies change when reacting to illness:(

#2 ·
Poor Cookie. :( Have you taken her to the vet?

#3 ·
No she hasn't been to the vet. This morning I checked on her, and she is in her igloo sleeping.. looks normal. I'll know later in the evening if she is still ill.. I don't want to disturb her if she is resting.

Last night, despite her protests (angry chirps and a couple nips), i picked her up and bottle fed her some water.. she was very eager. Her tummy still felt "hard" but she took the water like a champ. I also noticed, the lettuce i offered her is gone. Really hoping it was just a little upset tummy or flu, and she is recovering.

Also washing my hands like an OCD person (I do anyway) to make sure nothing gets spread among my critters.

#4 ·
I had a dwarf hamster (Ewok) that died of a bloated belly. I had no real warning, I didn't notice anything off. I went the next morning and she unfortunately died with a big puffed up belly. I can only assume something was lodged or blocked? But it felt rock hard.

Hopefully your little one will get better!

#5 ·
Oh no how sad :/ Thank you for sharing this info with me. For Cookie, I wouldn't say it's puffed out.. she has lost a considerable amount of weight in the past 24 hours but her stomach does not puff out. It's solid though. I actually pulled out a poop that never made it's way out.. I'm almost sure she's blocked somehow. I keep trying to get her to take water, but I've noticed that she hasn't eaten like anything. I found the lettuce I gave her last night.. she didn't eat it. It looks like she tried.

I think this might be her last night.

Thanks for your support everyone.. If she does pass, I will put a memorial for sure. If not, I will be so happy.

#8 ·
Well, she passed away. I will have to clean my entire apartment with Lysol to ensure that my other dwarf and my hedgehog are not affected.

Sad day :C

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Wishing your other critters good health!

#11 ·
there is a forum I would highly recommend for hamsters if you ever want it. I'm actually part of it they have an ailments section that is great.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I know how hard it is to lose a little one.

#12 ·
I would like that, actually...

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

#17 ·
Well thanks. This happened before I knew about diabetes and the signs. But since Cookie, I've had 2 others pass in the same year. And one (Panda Bear) with diabetes right now. It's been a baaaaaad year for me.

#19 ·
Thanks. I am working with my vet here to try to get on a somewhat experimental treatment for diabetes.. it's a drug that humans, dogs and cats use for diabetes. But an expert on the hamster forums has been using this treatment for many years with really great sucess... she was able to reverse diabetes in her hamsters... So I'm hoping my vet will learn about it and will let us try to save Panda. Otherwise, diabetes in dwarf hamsters is pretty much.. a death sentence.

#20 ·
Well at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully Panda will come out fighting :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.