Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this since I normally don't talk about them, but this was just too awesome to share.

I was in PetCo in Fox Chapel, PA and was looking around because my client had to look at EVERYTHING multiple times and I was getting bored and tired. Anyways. I was really impressed by this PetCo's set up for all of their animals.

Everywhere I have seen hermit crabs sold, they are normally in big short square containers. This one was probably 5-6 ft tall with vines and sticks for them to climb on, multiple types of food, clean, etc. I was just in awe. Almost made me want to get one lol.

Their other animals were treated just as well too. All the cages were really clean. They used the carefresh bedding. most of the rodents had ummm I dunno what it's called, alfalfa or some kind of grassy hay stuff in some ball looking thing. Most cages had multiple wheels and other toys. The rats even had lots of different toys. Plus at every cage they had information on the care needed for each animal in big signs you couldn't miss. They also only sell same sex animals so that they hopefully don't sell a couple that could end up breeding. and the birds were in their one glass enclosure with doors on each side so you could go in and see them and probably have a staff help you look at them without fear of them flying around the store.

There was a lady there walking around with 2 male rats on her shoulder too. it was funny. and all the staff knew her cuz she must go there a lot. I was just really impressed. sorry this is so long.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I went to petco once and they had the wrong wheel for the gerbils...It was so sad because some gerbils were missing their tails and I know it was becuase of the wheel. I wish all petstores took as good of care as their animals as your petco

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wheels they had were the ones with the small grid instead of the just rows of wires across. All of the rodents had bright eyes, glossy, healthy looking fur, etc. Made me want to take them all home! lol
I love PetCo's doggie treat bar and rawhide bar too. it's great and shadow loves the variety. Plus they look like people food. I got him peanut butter teddy graham looking things for dogs and he goes nuts over them.

the new PetSmart at the Pittsburgh Mills was really nice too. They had their birds all quarantined and won't be selling them until April to make sure that they don't have anything since they just got a new shipment. Their crab enclosure just wasn't as cool.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
the petco here had ones with lines across

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Sounds like our PetCo. The fish room is especially awesome :D.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
It amazes me how much a chain store can vary.
The PetCo in Ardmore PA takes their rodents to the same vet my buns have. The guy that must manage the rodents had a bunch of them - but he said most of them were at the vets because they were not being taken care of at another PetCo location which thankfully has now closed. He obviously was annoyed/mad because the animals were not taken care of the way they should have been. I could tell he too pride in taking proper care of the creatures at his store.
The PetSmart in Plymouth Meeting always has clean cages for their critters.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is amazing how they can be so different. This PetCo actually only had the carefresh bedding around the rodent enclosure. I guess they were trying to persuade people to get that, because they had some other types but they were back in the section.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Yeah it is amazing how they can be so different. This PetCo actually only had the carefresh bedding around the rodent enclosure. I guess they were trying to persuade people to get that, because they had some other types but they were back in the section.
I've noticed that in ours too. They don't sell cedar chips at all and the only pine bedding is kiln-dried (which is supposed to be safe but I stick to Aspen/paper-based beddings).

The only thing that bothers me about our PetCo is the fact that they suddenly started selling Peter's rabbits again. Since they started doing that I've been trying to avoid going there. Unfortunately, it's really the only place to get fruit flies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts