Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting hermit Crabs but I dont trust the people that work in the petshop they dont seem to know that much so i wanted a price on what i would nee including the tank and crabs i wanted around five so i would like to no a tank size aswell. I also read that woodlice are good caretakers for crabitats and that you can plant seeds in there and i am intreaged as what plants to grow they looked like grass in the picture i thurt i would look nice in the tank sort of like a little garden for them to enjoy i live in the uk so i deal in £'s and anyt tips on looking after them would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Umm, for 5 crabs, a 20 gallon would be good.
Youll need...
A tank
UTH
Fresh water, salt water, adn food dishes
substrate
a glass/plexi glass top
thermometer & humidity gage
sponges
decorations
a spray bottle
food
water declorinater (spell?)
Marine aquarum salt (for the salt water dish)
shells

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head... theres mare tho! XD
As for the price, a good setup will be well over $100. Im noy sure how much that is in UK tho.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you i want to no about the grass garden and woodlouse ideas? Plus i can worry about decorations at a later date and just get the basics first and keep adding to that.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Umm, you could probably plant some grass in the substrate it you bought Echo Earth (Ive acually found random pieces of grass growing in mine before), or if you got sand you could keep it in a small pot of some sort. Live plants are really fun to put in tanks. ^^
I wouldnt suggest keeping any kinds of mites or louse in your tank tho. They wont necessarily kill th crabs, but thay arent very good for them, and its kinda gross to have little bugs crawling around your tank any way. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been offerd a 4 foot aquarium with no lid should i take it how many gallons would you say that is and what type of hood would i need and how many hermies could i have ??? =]

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Yes, take it!
Hmmm... Id say that would be abou a 55 gallon, wich would mean 20-25 crabbies! :D
You can buy a glass or plexiglass lid for it, and/or a hood with lights and stuff. No screen lids tho- those let all the humidity out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really i thrut i could only have about five =]=]=] super exited now might start with 5 as im new and see how i cope with five first=]=]=]

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Otay, good luck! C:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts