Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a preference post. Which would you rather do and why?

I have always crate trained with carriers. My dogs tend to prefer the security and because they are solid, I can put all of their stuff (leashes, paperwork, toys, other dog junk of theirs) on top of it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a gate, he doesnt like it, but as mum wont let him sleep upstairs, it's the perfect thing too keep him in one room!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I used a crate with messi, it worked pretty well. I would like a baby gate too sometimes but he is trustworthy now

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It depends on the dog :). I'm generally a fan of crates but don't crate my current dog. Crates are lifesavers with my fosters, though! Certain foster dogs have gotten penned during the day (large exercise pen) and others have been left out but gated. My mom's dog is left out during the day but sleeps in her crate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prefer crates because I find they produce more of a secure den like atmosphere and the dog can't chew on the rungs of the cage. It's easy to clean and the dog will be use to being transported in one if need be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our dogs LOVE their crates. If we are not in bed by 10:30, they are getting in bed anyway LOL With our newest pup, he's so tiny that we are using a cat carrier for night time, and a larger crate with a puppy pad at one end, water and bed at the other for when we aren't home. Once he's old enough, we will transition to a crate like the others have. We only crate at night (except for the pup who is crated also when we are not at home)

Reactions: somebody

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
now messi sleeps with me, but when my boyfriend comes to bed he gets moved to his crate. He's an easy dog though and we don't even have to latch it anymore he has never attempted to get out really. He used to hate it when we had a fluffier bed, but we changed his bed now hes fine although he prefers our bed :) he will go to bed at 11 even if i don't now cause thats my bedtime normally when i work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
When we poster a very shy dog, he just feel so uncomfortable when he arrive. Glad the crate give him a safe and secured place which tend to help on his confidence.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I change my mind. Our carrier spring just broke and now its needing to be "fixed" every night. I think I will invest in a normal crate now with a cover lol.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I haven't used them in 13 years. Finally, out of neccessity I got one for Coco and it's a solid pet taxi. I like it for it's smooth sides and dark chamber-like den.. I had an emergency, however, bc not having been trained for 13 years Coco freaks out in it and got his mouth stuck in the bars of the door. I was using a baby gate, successful bc of his short stature. I generally just don't like the look of wire kennels.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
For my fosters I crate them. Most of them are used to crates anyway from living in kennels/tiny hutches and the ones who are not used to them,learn to adjust and are crate trained quite easy.

I also have a baby gate,which I use sometimes to block the fosters from going into my daughter's room at night and keeping her awake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts